Need some advice on some options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mike1346

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just looking for some advice and opinions. So I am on track to finish my BS in biology in 2015 (3 years of undergrad total). I am part of a combined bs/md program with my state school so getting into a medical school isn't an issue. However, the program allows me to apply out to other programs with no consequences on my guarantee. So my question is will I be at a disadvantage when applying to top tier schools by doing 3 years of undergrad and taking a gap year to travel and work in a lab. Or should I stick it out another year in undergrad and pick up a minor or a major.

Some of my stats:
GPA: currently a 4.0
MCAT: 37
ECs: 200+ hours of volunteering, 80+ hours of shadowing, 1.5 years of research experience, various student organizations

Thanks for the advice and opinions :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, just looking for some advice and opinions. So I am on track to finish my BS in biology in 2015 (3 years of undergrad total). I am part of a combined bs/md program with my state school so getting into a medical school isn't an issue. However, the program allows me to apply out to other programs with no consequences on my guarantee. So my question is will I be at a disadvantage when applying to top tier schools by doing 3 years of undergrad and taking a gap year to travel and work in a lab. Or should I stick it out another year in undergrad and pick up a minor or a major.

Some of my stats:
GPA: currently a 4.0
MCAT: 37
ECs: 200+ hours of volunteering, 80+ hours of shadowing, 1.5 years of research experience, various student organizations

Thanks for the advice and opinions :D
As your stats are very good and you'd be applying at the end of your third year of college, as most applicants do, you would not be at a disadvantage competing for a spot in a "Top School" provided your ECs are competitive and fit the mission of the institution. Top schools aim to train future leaders in medicine, so your application should suggest you have that potential through substantive leadership roles. Top schools look for those who engage in productive research that shows a growth in one's capability and responsibility over time, perhaps resulting in posters and presentations and possibly even publications in peer-reviewed journals. Some will look for outstanding achievement in other fields of endeavor. Some look for humanistic elements among your ECs. Some like to see evidence that you can take on a teaching role.