Need some advice...Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigorange24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to get some feedback about my qualifications for optometry school. I have recently taken my OAT and did not do very well, making a 290. Here are some other statistics about my academics:

Undergraduate GPA: 3.5
Undergraduate science GPA: 3.3
Masters in Biochemistry with Thesis
Graduate GPA: 3.99
My extracurricular activity portion of my application is well distributed in multiple areas.

After Undergrad, I chose to do research in graduate school first and then attend a professional school but with my OAT as low as it is, I am not sure what my chances are. I do plan on taking it again but have some test anxiety issues. I have used several study aids to brush up on some basic bio/gen chem/etc which have not been used or thought of since I took those classes.

Any advice about studying for the OAT? Improving my application? or advice in general?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats look good to me, so the last hurdle is the OAT. I think it's good that you are planning to retake it, and as long as you get it done before July/August, you should have plenty of time to get your application in and still be early-ish. I studied for about 3 1/2 weeks during the summer, 4-6 hours a day. I would definitely recommend spreading that out over a longer period. I used some class notes, but other than that I used Chad's videos almost exclusively. They were extremely helpul, although the biology section is lacking quite a bit of material. So I would recommend giving yourself at least a couple of months, studying for a couple of hours every day. I burnt myself out trying to squeeze it all in to such a small time frame. Good luck!

Great GPAs. Some schools accept a 290 OAT or so, that said, anything over 300 is generally accepted. They love people that shadow a ton, at least two different OD's, and extracurricular 's to prove that you can handle the load!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a 3.4 and 3.2 science GPA and had 300AA and 280TS and applied late February. I got 6 interviews, went to 5. Got accepted to 4 schools (western, scco, uiwrso, and mcphs) and waitlisted at ico so you'll be fine as long as you nail the interview. When you go for interviews know the school inside out

I had a 3.4 and 3.2 science GPA and had 300AA and 280TS and applied late February. I got 6 interviews, went to 5. Got accepted to 4 schools (western, scco, uiwrso, and mcphs) and waitlisted at ico so you'll be fine as long as you nail the interview. When you go for interviews know the school inside out

Patluq, I saw you posted on another thread asking about the chances for being accepted from the second quartile for the SCCO Alternate list yet here, you say you were accepted to SCCO. Not to be mean, but I think you are misleading bigorange24 if you are indeed on the second-quartile alternate list. Second-quartile on the alternate/waiting list is not a guaranteed acceptance. It is a only an acceptance if there happens to be a seat available, and that seat is offered to you.

Test taking anxiety is something that eventually you will need to overcome in order to become an optometrist as you will need to take boards. Best of luck to you bigorange24. Devote as much time as you can to familiarizing yourself with the subject material/OAT format and apply early in the cycle to improve your chances.

Sorry for the confusion but i was on the alternate list up until i posted the comment and got accepted literally right after. Anyways good luck to all and hope to see u there optohopeful!

Sorry for the confusion but i was on the alternate list up until i posted the comment and got accepted literally right after. Anyways good luck to all and hope to see u there optohopeful!
Glad it worked out for you, Patluq! Congrats! :)

Were you ever taken off from the alternate waitlist from ICO?