Need Some Advice.. Wait an Extra Year to Apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Guitarmacy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that there's a WAMC thread, but my situation is a little complicated and I'm not sure when to apply to school. Here's my situation:

I took 70 credits at my first college and came out with a 2.0. At my new school, I have an overall 3.6, with 4.0 the last 3 semesters and 4.0 in math/science. I just received my B.A. in Psychology.

At the moment my PharmCAS cGPA is around 2.8.

The two main options are to apply Fall 2013 or Fall 2014, but both have advantages and disadvantages.

Applying Early Pros:
-Potentially matriculate and therefore graduate earlier, allowing me to work an extra year or do a residency.:xf:

-Saving time and making money earlier is the main "pro" here, but it's a big one. We just had a baby girl 4 months ago. Plus I've been in school on and off for 7 years already. :)

Applying Early Cons:
-Taking the PCAT this early (Summer '13) will be a ton of hard work. I will not have Micro, BioChem, Organic I or II under my belt. However, I am steadily teaching myself these subjects on the side. (My #1 school University of Colorado takes the highest score from each PCAT section into consideration if you have taken it multiple times, which makes me think there may be no harm in taking the PCAT without Micro, Orgo, etc since I can retake it later if I bomb it)

-My extra curriculars, job experience, etc won't be as extensive. Right now I have 50 hours volunteering at a non-profit as a tech, 50 hours hospital E.R., shadowed clinical, nuclear, and retail pharmacists, President and Founder of Pre-Pharmacy Club, Who's Who, Psi Chi Honor Society (Psychology), Provost's Honor Roll, TA for Psychopharmacology class, and zero job experience. I'm hoping all of this will sort of help them overlook my GPA issues.

-With mostly A's, the AdComs will see a 3.0 GPA if I apply in 2013, but if I wait 'til 2014 it'll be around 3.15.

-In 2014, all my pre-reqs will be done, which might make it easier to get accepted.

What would you do? Aaaaaaand while we're at it. What are my chances in both situations?

Thanks for reading my ridiculously long post.. :sleep:

Members don't see this ad.

Apply this year if money is not an issue. You have nothing to lose but a lot to gain. I applied very late in 2012 cycle and got into both schools I applied to (one from w/l). I really thought my chances were slim to none because of how late I applied (3 months before supple. deadline) and how late I interviewed (1 month before interviews concluded). They were both rolling admissions schools so I convinced myself that I could not possibly get in anywhere because theres more waitlist spots than the available seats. I was accepted to my second choice and w/l at my top. Then during the summer, I was offered a seat from the w/l.

Edit- I should mention too that I didnt finish pre-reqs or BS at the time of the interview. I think having those completed do increase your chance of acceptance but it shouldn't keep u from applying.

Point of story- Even if ur chance of getting a seat is low, it is just as great being on a high w/l. Why waste a cycle when the possibility is there. If I gave up because I thought it was too late and a waste of 200+ dollars, I would not have had the opportunity to attend my top choice and who knows what may happen next year. Different applicants apply every year and candidates next year may be more competitive. So give it a shot, and btw even though ur GPA is subpar, ur EC is actually very good. I am quite the opposite, my GPA is high but I have minimal EC.

Last edited:
Apply this year if money is not an issue. You have nothing to lose but a lot to gain. I applied very late in 2012 cycle and got into both schools I applied to (one from w/l). I really thought my chances were slim to none because of how late I applied (3 months before supple. deadline) and how late I interviewed (1 month before interviews concluded). They were both rolling admissions schools so I convinced myself that I could not possibly get in anywhere because theres more waitlist spots than the available seats. I was accepted to my second choice and w/l at my top. Then during the summer, I was offered a seat from the w/l.

Edit- I should mention too that I didnt finish pre-reqs or BS at the time of the interview. I think having those completed do increase your chance of acceptance but it shouldn't keep u from applying.

Point of story- Even if ur chance of getting a seat is low, it is just as great being on a high w/l. Why waste a cycle when the possibility is there. If I gave up because I thought it was too late and a waste of 200+ dollars, I would not have had the opportunity to attend my top choice and who knows what may happen next year. Different applicants apply every year and candidates next year may be more competitive. So give it a shot, and btw even though ur GPA is subpar, ur EC is actually very good. I am quite the opposite, my GPA is high but I have minimal EC.

Cool thanks for the suggestions and encouragement. I'm also hoping that applying as early as possible might help out, perhaps in June or July. The one thing I haven't been able to figure out it is if Early Decision is only for those with a high GPA/PCAT. Would it be worth trying with my stats?

Also, if anyone knows good study guides or resources for people who have NOT taken those courses (Micro, Biochem, Orgo I & II), any help would be appreciated. Dr. Collins sounds like it's great but only for people who have already learned the material. Perhaps Kaplan?