Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mike wang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks of SDN,

I'm feeling a little lost right now so I'd really appreciate your help.

I just got my MCAT score and it was: physics:12, Verbal:7, Bio: 14. Total = 33. First, I'd like to note that I'm Canadian so automatically all the med schools in Canada are out. My question is, how will US med schools view an unbalanced score like mine? I am currently applying to this application cycle, I have sent in most of my secondary apps, but now I'm reconsidering a few lower-tiered med schools as well. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hard to give you any advice with only a MCAT score.

I apologize, my question was geared more to how med schools view a low verbal score with a decent overall score, but if it helps, my GPA is a 3.97, I have a good EC's and research with 1 pending publication. I'm also going into my senior year in college. Thanks for all your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
You're a shoe-in at LUCOM.

I apologize, my question was geared more to how med schools view a low verbal score with a decent overall score, but if it helps, my GPA is a 3.97, I have a good EC's and research with 1 pending publication. I'm also going into my senior year in college. Thanks for all your help!

Reactions: 1 user
You should research specific schools first by calling the their admission directly. I was in the same situation (well, my physics and bio are not as high as yours). Some school told me straight out that they want at least an 8 on verbal. But most other schools tell me they can live with a 7. So call the schools first before you pay for them

Only a 3.97 and 33 MCAT? I heard their having a sale at Walmart on sunblock. You should get some before you pack your bags to the Caribbean.

Only a 3.97 and 33 MCAT? I heard their having a sale at Walmart on sunblock. You should get some before you pack your bags to the Caribbean.

I appreciate the sarcasm lol, but my question is actually serious. A 7 in verbal obviously doesn't look good on paper and I was wondering if schools in the US have a hard MCAT cutoff, or a preference for applicants with a higher verbal score. Thanks!

I appreciate the sarcasm lol, but my question is actually serious. A 7 in verbal obviously doesn't look good on paper and I was wondering if schools in the US have a hard MCAT cutoff, or a preference for applicants with a higher verbal score. Thanks!

I would retake the MCAT and update the schools later on this cycle. Your app won't be tossed due to the 7 on verbal but there's a chance you might be put on the maybe pile. A 9+ on verbal will change that.

I would retake the MCAT and update the schools later on this cycle. Your app won't be tossed due to the 7 on verbal but there's a chance you might be put on the maybe pile. A 9+ on verbal will change that.

To be honest, I don't think rewriting again this summer would be a good idea since I'm definitely not getting a 14 again on the Bio section... anyone else have any ideas?

MSAR Online is your friend.

You'll have to look at the 74 schools that accept international students, and then look at what is the 10th%ile for VR scores. Aim at those schools for whom 7 is the floor.

Hello folks of SDN,

I'm feeling a little lost right now so I'd really appreciate your help.

I just got my MCAT score and it was: physics:12, Verbal:7, Bio: 14. Total = 33. First, I'd like to note that I'm Canadian so automatically all the med schools in Canada are out. My question is, how will US med schools view an unbalanced score like mine? I am currently applying to this application cycle, I have sent in most of my secondary apps, but now I'm reconsidering a few lower-tiered med schools as well. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Reactions: 1 user