Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gladiolus23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I need some major advice! I'm scheduled to take the MCAT on Nov 7th, and I'm trying to make room in my schedule for ample study time. I recently got a research internship (my second one) where a poster presentation and possibly a co-authorship on peer reviewed literature is guaranteed. It's a 10 hr/week position (8 hrs in lab) and runs for an entire year. It will enable me to get grants next summer to pursue more research and has an opportunity to get good letters of rec.

I'm trying to decide whether I should drop this research to allot time for MCAT or if I should drop a science course (which would bring both GPA's down by 0.02 pts.). If I drop the class, I'm down to 11 credits of actual classes (the rest are research credits for a total of 16).

I rly don't want to drop the research because I'm already low on research and I hear it's a big part of med school admissions. But now I'm also scared about the MCAT. I think dropping the class would help, but would the GPA drop be worth it? What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

If I was in your position, I would drop the class. If the class is not stopping you from taking classes further along the line and only contributes to .02 of the 2 GPAs, I'd say studying for your MCAT is way more important. Keep the research, drop the class. Just my 2 cents.

Priorities:

1. MCAT
2. GPA
3. Extra-Curriculars (ECs)

If you do not have excellent MCAT and GPA, your ECs will not save you. Plan accordingly.

In your situation I would drop the class though, bc you can always take classes later.

I would drop the class and take it later if it's an important class.