Need some advice....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Horse Girl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey- I'm new to these forums, but thought I could use some advice from those of you who are in PT school/ practicing PTs.....bear with me, a little long....

A little about me: I'm not straight out of college- Im a little older. I went to college, graduated and couldnt find a job after I came back from galloping horses in Ireland. I came to a great, small horsey town and with the help of my credentials with a horse organization where I do some judging and other riding accomplishments, I have been able to find enough work to support me and my 3 horses. It has not always been easy, but especially right now, it has been perfect.

I have always wanted to be a horse professional, but was well aware that it is not easy to make it in the industry. In college, I planned to apply to Physical Therapy school when I was ready so that I could then afford my expensive passion. Well, I wasnt ready for about 3 more years.

Before I began finding horses in the area to ride and being able to freelance and teach lessons, I was a groom for a professional rider. After about 2 months of "abuse" from that farm, I was burnt out. I had never been burnt out before and I had a mini melt down because I have always loved horses and would be in the saddle from sun-up to sun-down if I could. I then applied to PT school. By the time all the applications were finished, I had way too many horses to ride, my passion had returned. I was sooo busy I didnt even have enough time to ride mine! Which is a good thing!

For the first time in about 8 years I was able to get off of my depression meds and I could honestly say I was happy.

I found out in March that I got in to a school in VA, but I couldnt afford it realistically, so I turned them down. I had given in to the idea that I was going to be a horse bum for another year and had started to make plans for that when I got a call. (The other state schools I had applied to had rejected me, except one and I was on the waitlist for that.) Well, the call was that they were accepting me off the waitlist. ....

I didnt know whether to be excited or not- I was just shocked. The school is in the middle of nowhere North Carolina (Western Carolina) with some of the closest horse boarding facilites about 45+ mins away and expensive and I OWN 3 horses. Will I have time while in school to even ride my horse?

I dont know what to do. My heart says stay with the horses because I have always loved it, I still do, and I enjoy what I am doing. I am afraid of being in the middle of no where and really having to struggle to ride. I dont want to be fighting depression again. I dont want to be on meds again. But my head says, "An opportunity has presented itself and you need to take it, its the smart thing, you can be financially stable for once in your life, its only 2 years of grad school, what have you got to lose." I know eventually I will want to go to PT school; I just wonder if now is the right time. Riding horses is hard on the body and I am only young once, plus I have no husband, house, kids, etc to worry about supporting. What would you do?

So I basically see 2 options:
1) Go to Western. Suck it up and hope that I get to ride more than just the weekends (which will be hard because I ride about 5-8 horses a day). I would be commuting from an hour away to school at least the first semester. So I feel like a lot of time would be eaten by travelling. Western's program is a masters so its only 2 years. I did get a loan, but because I was accepted off the waitlist and a lot of money was already awarded, I was not given any more financial help.

2) Take one more year and re-take some classes at comm college that UNC-CH said I needed to retake from my freshman year of college. Hope I get in to UNC. The year would give me time to place my 3 horses so I dont have that weighing on me. In case they dont sell, I know I can keep horses 5 miles from campus because that's what I did when I was in undergrad there. UNC's program is a 3 yr doctorate. It would be more expensive as far as tuition goes...but the horses could be kept for cheaper if I still had them.

So- is there any advantage/disadvantage of the Doctorate?
Anyone else have "extra curricular" activities that are time consuming? Were you able to continue to do them? Anyone have a job while in PT school? What are the days like in school? What other words of wisdom do you have?

Members don't see this ad.

Cullowee, NC I think is the name of the town right. Anyway, damn!!..... you better go to PT school. How about ride your horse to class. Save money on gas!

I used to be a farrier and a "breaker". I know full well the type person you are. I have run into many "horse bums" LOL. Sure some of them scraped by and lived from week to week, but ya know what I noticed about all of them? They were happy.

You are young. Keep doing what you love. PT school is always there, but I have a feeling that if things got good for you in the horse business you would never even think about PT.

It sounds like your passion is horses and if I were you, I would stick with that as long as I could make my bills.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep- Cullowhee.... there is nothing in that town.

After talking with Chapel Hill, they made it sound like I would have to re-take more than just the 2 classes in order to be "competitive". That would mean another year of class, in order to get into a then 3 year doctorate program regardless of where I go since all the schools will be DPT next year. SO that is 4 years to become a PT when I could become a PT by going to WCU in 2 years.

But I still have that heart vs. head dilemma........ this decision aside.... How do you choose when there is such a separation of heart and head?

Hey Horse Girl,

Is WCU still just two years? I heard that this coming year they were transitioning to DPT, as well. WCU and Winston Salem were the last two masters programs that I was aware of and neither one are going to be Masters any more from what I understand.

As far as UNC goes, I never got to the point where I could even apply to their program. They look at candidates applications in stages. 1) Did they complete ALL of the prerequisite by the time the Fall semester ends (yes, a year ahead of when you would go back to school)? 2) Did they meet the required GPA (overall and prerequisite)? 3) Did their GRE scores meet the requirements? etc.

Though my prerequisite GPA is pretty good (3.4 I think), my overall GPA was a little below a 3.0. I contacted them and they said that they do not make exceptions. I kind of see why they don't have to either. They are a cheap state school, they're top ranked, and they only have spots for about 34 students. It's so competitive that they can be as selective as they chose to be.

I'm not saying to give up on your dream school, but just make sure that you know what to realistically expect. I imagine that as more schools transition to using PTCAS in the next few years, the competition is going to get stiffer.

If WCU is ready to accept you and you are READY to go back to school.... don't look a gift horse in its mouth :p

I think for any student going to PT school, sacrifices are going to need to be made regardless (it's a large time commitment). It just depends on if it's worth it to you. But truly, if you're happier riding equine, then do that.

I applied to WCU but was rejected. Again, I think it had to do with my overall GPA. Even if it's in the middle of nowheresville, the total cost of attendance made it a worthy competitor in my mind for the schools I applied to.

I know I wish I was accepted at WCU for this year and next year.

I'm in a DPT program right now and it is hell on my free time. If you're financially able to continue to do what you want to do, do it. My suggestion is that you don't go to school until you are willing to make it your first priority, because that's what your profs will expect (and profs are used to be humored). There are people in my class who work outside of school, so it is possible. But, I am confident in your ability to get in again, especially if you're willing to retake a couple classes from freshman year (oh freshman year....). PT school takes it out of you, hardcore. Don't do it unless you're willing to make it the first and sometimes only thing in your life.

I'm in a DPT program right now and it is hell on my free time. If you're financially able to continue to do what you want to do, do it. My suggestion is that you don't go to school until you are willing to make it your first priority, because that's what your profs will expect (and profs are used to be humored). There are people in my class who work outside of school, so it is possible. But, I am confident in your ability to get in again, especially if you're willing to retake a couple classes from freshman year (oh freshman year....). PT school takes it out of you, hardcore. Don't do it unless you're willing to make it the first and sometimes only thing in your life.
Well said! I agree completely.