Need Some Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rammy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I am currently an MPH candidate at UNT-HSC applying to medical school. I just graduated from undergrad with the following

GPA: 3.2
SGPA: 3.07
MCAT: 31S
GRE: 313/340

I was wondering if it was smart to take a couple of more biology classes at a local undergrad university to bump up my science gpa and overall gpa. I just started graduate school so I do not have a GPA there yet. Any guidance will help.

Also, I majored in Economics and minored in Biology at the Ut Austin.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on if you are applying MD or DO...

I am applying to both. Concentrating on MD. Since I reside in Texas, I am applying to UNT-HSC (DO school) as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your gpa is wayyyyyy low for MD programs

Well you didn't provide one and it doesn't look like it will change your sGPA since you're doing an MPH

Oh sorry. I meant to say I am in my first semester. I started this summer, so I won't have a GPA till August.

I guess what I am trying to ask is if i get a 4.0 in my MPH, will that overlook my undergrad GPA? Or should I go ahead a take more undergrad courses as well as a post-bacc?

I think the majority of emphasis is placed on undergrad GPA. I don't think a 4.0 MPH GPA won't hurt, but I don't think it will completely erase your undergrad GPA either.