Need some good advice and tips for mcat prep please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtualmaster999

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I need some serious help with preparing for my mcat studies that will begin in the fall. In not sure what the bet option for me is, but I will give you the info of my situation so far...anything helps!

All my prerequisites are done except for physics 1/2 which I will be taking this upcoming year as a rising junior. I am planning to take the MCAT 2015 since I did not take physics yet. I already took biochem.

My classes for the fall include:

-physics 1 w/ lab
-cell bio
-brain and behavior
-abnormal psych

This totals 13 credit hours. I set this up with less hours but still a good difficulty because I need to study for the mcat during thee school year and I will be continuing to volunteer and shadow.

I was planning to buy the new mcat Kaplan set AND the new mcat Princeton review set. Which company has led to better results? I wanted to get both so I have more problems to study from and more practice. Is this fine to get both? I know verbal will be difficult for me so can I use old material to study for verbal especially, and maybe even some concepts from other sections (I was thinking exam crackers)

Now the thing is, I plan to take the new mcat sometime around April-May. If I start in September, that gives me roughly 7-8 months. It seems like a lot I know, but since I'll be in school, I'll have to spread it out( and I'll do a lot on weekends and breaks as well). Is this fine to break it down for this long of a time period, or will it be hard to retain everything? I will constantly be reviewing. Plus since there's more material on this new mcat I think it could work out good to spread it out since I'm taking classes as well.

As for the actual studying, do most people study one subject at a time, or is it good to do a little of each subject simultaneously? I know I haven't taken physics yet so it might take me a little longer to self learn some concepts while taking physics during the year. What works best? Maybe like two/three chapters a day from different subjects? What helps since I haven't taken physics yet?

I know there is a lot of info here but if I could get the help for this I would REAAAALLLY appreciate it. Any and all info would help me so much! Please let me know what you guys think about any or all the info I posted.

Thanks ahead!!

Members don't see this ad.

There's a shortage of information about the 2015 MCAT right now. For the current MCAT, the most popular prep books seem to be Examkrackers (basic science review and the least you need to know), Berkeley Review (for advanced science, if you want a high MCAT score), and for verbal reasoning the Princeton Review Verbal Workbook.

You may do well to research MCAT prep books by asking around before buying them. MCAT books tend to be expensive, and the most widely advertised are NOT necessarily the best ones.

If you are not already aware, SDN also has an MCAT section: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/mcat-discussions.31/