Need some guidance to recover and get into Pod School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulldog1123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my story is slightly long and any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I entered college top of my class, with all the bells and whistles and got full rides to a couple schools. I accepted the one that gave me a guaranteed admissions to their medical school upon keeping a 3.5 and scoring a 28 on the MCAT. However, college expected from me something I had never had to do before, study. Upon joining college, I joined a fraternity and that drive to study never materialized. Fast forward 4 and a half years later.

I ended up transferring to a university closer to home (its amazing I was even allowed to transfer) when I realized that I would not be graduating on time from my original university. My GPA at my original university was horrendous at a 2.4. I failed biology multiple times and stopped caring towards the end of my collegiate carrier and failed walk in the park classes like statistics and new testament. I absentmindedly took the MCAT and made a 15 (again, no attempt was made even during the test and this score will be two years old now)

This was my wake up moment, realizing that I would not be able to walk with my friends and all my hopes and ambition was squandered.

Upon transferring to my new university, I began to work on my studying skills, skills I had never had. I got a couple Cs early on, but the As began to pop up. I have two classes this summer (including Biology) and a final fall semester and I will be graduating with a BS in Neuroscience. My plan is to rip off As to finish strong, which I can confidentially say I will be able to now. While my final GPA will still be a weak 2.71, my 4 semesters at my new University will be a 3.42. DO replacement would do wonders to my GPA, but Pod school unfortunately does not have that. Hurting my GPA is those Fs that I cannot shake.

My question is this... I need guidance. I will be approaching my counselors at my university, but I have always been looking on SDN and feel like the experience collectively here would be better then counselors at my university. Upon graduation in December, I will be taking the MCAT again. I am studying now to take it in December which gives me a solid 6 months to study along with school. I do have a large number of volunteer and shadowing hours (200+) but will need to add shadowing a podiatrist to my repertoire. I begin neuroscience research this summer and will carry it into this fall. What can I do to get into Pod school? I am shooting for a 28+ with emphasis on BS for the MCAT. I have the option of doing a 1 year nonthesis masters in biology if that would help me. Or even pursuing a MPH or a masters of science in health administration. I am already retaking the Fs I made to ace them (except new testament which for some reason I cannot find to be taught anyone in state online or at a nearby CC). My study skills/patterns are materializing now that I am backed into a corner. I just need directions to picking up the pieces of my broken academic career and putting it back together so I can follow my passion of medicine. Podiatry is something that interests me slight more over DO which is why I want to shoot for that despite DO offering grade replacement.

any help/direction would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.