need some help about transitional year residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pro1212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi there
My name is Mohammad Abd al maaboud , from Egypt . i want some information about tansitional year residency , i wanna know the design of the program and curriculum . and if differs from hospital to another

some links to contact with transitional year residency programs would be nice

M A Abd al maaboud

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hi there
My name is Mohammad Abd al maaboud , from Egypt . i want some information about tansitional year residency , i wanna know the design of the program and curriculum . and if differs from hospital to another

some links to contact with transitional year residency programs would be nice

M A Abd al maaboud

Transitional year residencies are one year internships which tend to involve rotating through different specialties a month at a time. While they were originally designed to let people have another year in which to decide on a specialty, they are rarely used for that today. Many are regarded as cushy, compared to preliminary years, and since they satisfy the preliminary year requirements of many advanced ROAD specialties, they can often be the hardest things to get in the match, because every top derm, optho or rads resident wants one. They vary from hospital to hospital, some known as cushier than others. Very few IMGs end up with them. You can find transitional programs and contact info through the Frieda website. But I suspect this isn't really what you are looking for unless you are realistically applying for top advanced residencies and looking for a more relaxed initial year.