Need some help and suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LSUSchris

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post here on the forum but have read a few times.

I have about 55 hours left to complete my undergrad Biology degree at LSU-Shreveport. My current GPA at LSUS is ~3.3. Like a lot of other students, my freshman year was pretty much a waste but I have grown up and I am on the right track now. Last 2 semesters I have achieved a 3.6 and a 3.82 GPA. If I combine my total GPA, it comes out to ~3.0ish. Im not really THAT worried about my GPA as I am confident in my abilities and feel I have enough time to raise it even more.

My question is: What do I need to do in order to prepare myself for the MCAT, Interview, and the all around process to pursuing a career in medicine? I dont have any volunteer work, no shadowing, etc....

If anyonw has any suggestions, Im all ears :)

Chris

Members don't see this ad.

Get involved in volunteering in a clinical setting right now. That way it won't look like you're just doing it for medical school (and it'll let you know if medicine isn't something you'd end up wanting to do!).

Right now your GPA at 3.3 (or 3.0? I didn't really understand that...) is low. There's an enormous difference between a cumulative 3.3 and a cum 3.5. Get to 3.5 before you apply. I'm happy to see that you're confident you can do this.

As far as the MCAT, I found taking a Kaplan-type preparation course to be very helpful. They're expensive, so that might be a barrier, but most believe they're worth it. At the bare minimum taking as many full length practice exams as possible to find specific issues (topics you don't know enough about, test taking strategies that aren't working) is the consensus way to prepare.

I'll add 2 other suggestions as well:
--Suck it up and get to know two science professors really well. Come to their office hours once a week, sit toward the front of the class. I was too proud to do this in college and while I found some profs to "play the game" for me, I'm sure their letters weren't as strong as people who had sucked it up and done this--listen to this advice and get two great letters of rec.
--Get involved in some other activities. I know a girl who had a slightly sub-par GPA and slightly sub-par MCAT, but nothing that should've counted her out. What killed her was that she was involved in absolutely nothing. Literally. Go on a service trip during Spring or Winter break once or twice (this is also a great way to meet people outside of bars and parties etc). Join a club/organization/non-varsity sport you think is fun that wouldn't be too time consuming. Leadership potential is a plus.

Good luck :luck:

Sorry for the confusion.....My cum GPA is 3.0 (which consist of the 2 other schools I attended my freshman year) and the 3.3 is just what I have obtained at LSUS.

There is a Childrens hospital here in Shreveport so Ill see about volunteering there. I will also check on the Kaplan course.

I so know one science professor really well and I will work on knowing another one. Also, I am currently in Biology club and waiting to get into AED (our biology honor society). Ill see about getting more involved.

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad :)
Also consider getting in some research to make yourself appealing to more medical schools. Volunteering in a medical setting gives you exposure to docs that you might be able to shadow if you get to know them. Shadowing your own physician at home over a break is another option. Med shools want to be sure you understand what being a doc is all about.

Know that the average GPA for acceptances is above 3.6. Aim for straight As to resuscitate your current GPA.

Read these forums. They are a great guide to what you need to do to have a competitive application.

Have any of done an alternative spring break? What did you think?

My schools is having one, but they're asking for a $70 fee which I feel is excessive. I'm volunteering for god sake, they should cover the fees!

I did an Alternative Spring Break program and two 2-week overseas medical aid trips. Other than that, I had six months of weekly volunteering at two institutions (same 6 months, the fall I applied). I think regular volunteering over a longer time frame is generally more desirable. (But I still got accepted.)