Need some help making sure I am a Texas Resident for TMDSAS purposes. Thanks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryan17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here is what TMDSAS says on their website:

Option 1: Residency through High School Graduation
This option for establishing Texas residency is available to citizens or permanent residents of the US and to international students.

To establish residency through high school graduation, you must have:

1. Graduated from a Texas high school or receive a GED in Texas; and
  2. Lived in Texas for the 36 months immediately before high school graduation; and
  3. Lived in Texas continuously for the 12 months immediately preceding the application deadline, October 1

Two issues I need clarification on just to make sure I'm all fine for when I apply to med school as a TX resident through option #1.

So I was born and raised in Houston, and attended and graduated from high school in Houston in 2008. However, I lived abroad as part of my HS curriculum for 2 months during my senior year of HS. Does this constitute any violation?

And "lived in TX continuously for the 12 months preceding the deadline"....does that mean if I apply on May 1, 2014, I need to live in Texas until October 1, 2014? Am I allowed to leave Texas for any period of time between May and October? Is the main issue that I'm paying rent in TX during that time?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Do your parents file taxes in Texas? Do they claim you as dependent? If yes, then you can be classified as Texas resident through option #2 (not quote here). If you work and file your own taxes, then go with option 2 also. I don't know how med schools look at these options, but I am working at a Texas community college and option 1 (the one you mention) is meant for undocumented students. I know a few undocumented students receive in state tuition through option 1

Members don't see this ad :)
My parents are divorced, and I don't speak with my dad. My mom files taxes and so do I, but we file separately. I do work but do not earn enough to be classified under option 2, because I work part-time and go to school. Should I be worried?

Could all this be solved if I ask my mom to claim me as a dependent for the years 2014 and 2015 (the two years preceding my 2016 application?) She actually owns property, I just pay rent at a friend's place.

Oh, also, does that mean I would have to show proof of residing with my mom (which I don't)?? Or can I live on my own and as long as she claims me as a dependent and owns property, it's all good?

Thanks!

Last edited:
So here is what TMDSAS says on their website:

Two issues I need clarification on just to make sure I'm all fine for when I apply to med school as a TX resident through option #1.

So I was born and raised in Houston, and attended and graduated from high school in Houston in 2008. However, I lived abroad as part of my HS curriculum for 2 months during my senior year of HS. Does this constitute any violation?

And "lived in TX continuously for the 12 months preceding the deadline"....does that mean if I apply on May 1, 2014, I need to live in Texas until October 1, 2014? Am I allowed to leave Texas for any period of time between May and October? Is the main issue that I'm paying rent in TX during that time?

Thanks!!

The main issue is where you are calling "home" for the time periods.

I believe that those periods count as temporary absences.

From the College for All Texans Residency Information Page "Residency Rules" (link found on the bottom of the TMDSAS Residency page):

"Temporary absence--Absence from the State of Texas by a person who has established domicile in the state, with the intention to return, generally for a period of less than five years. "

Reactions: 1 user
So I did some research and I don't think my mom can claim me as a dependent- I'm already 24 years old:

Do they meet the age requirement? Your child must be under age 19 or, if a full-time student, under age 24. There is no age limit if your child is permanently and totally disabled.

So my options are now, either buy a house/condo (can't), or work at least 20 hours per week for the 12 months preceding October 1, 2016?

Need some help here...need to make sure all the TX med schools see me as a resident in the 2016/2017 app cycle! :)

Have you ever actually lived outside of Texas? It doesn't sound like it from your posts so far (yes, studying abroad counts as a temporary absence)

You ask if you can "leave" Texas at any time in the 12 months. I don't understand what this means. Do you want to rent an apartment and get a job in a different state? Vacations don't affect residency anywhere.

Are you currently attending college in Texas with in-state status?

Again, from the residency rules (http://www.collegeforalltexans.com/index.cfm?ObjectID=6D1466D9-AEA5-DE00-C12F3F75E7367718):

"Except as provided under subsection (c) of this section, a person who was enrolled in an institution for any part of the previous state fiscal year and who was classified as a resident of this state under Subchapter B, Chapter 54, Texas Education Code, in the last academic period of that year for which the person was enrolled is considered to be a resident of this state for purposes of this subchapter, as of the beginning of the following fall semester. If an institution acquires documentation that a person is a continuing student who was classified as a resident at the previous institution, no additional documentation is required."

Yes, I am currently attending a community college in TX to knock out some math classes, and will transfer to University of Houston for post-bacc classes this fall. I lived outside of TX for college as well as living abroad for 6 months post-college.

I have lived in Texas from age 0-18 and 23-present.

So which option should I claim residency under? 1 or 2?

You ask if you can "leave" Texas at any time in the 12 months. I don't understand what this means. Do you want to rent an apartment and get a job in a different state? Vacations don't affect residency anywhere.

Yeah, I meant if I wanted to get a job in, say, Florida, during the gap year.

I believe you would qualify under #1, because your foreign study was a trip, not a change of residence. Attending college out of state is not a problem as your 'permanent residence' is still in Texas. ANd you live in Texas now, right?

So if your 'official residence' was in Texas through high school graduation, and also through college, and if you live in Texas now, when, if ever, was your 'official residence' anywhere else?

Reactions: 1 users
I believe you would qualify under #1, because your foreign study was a trip, not a change of residence. Attending college out of state is not a problem as your 'permanent residence' is still in Texas. ANd you live in Texas now, right?

So if your 'official residence' was in Texas through high school graduation, and also through college, and if you live in Texas now, when, if ever, was your 'official residence' anywhere else?

I do live in Texas now, yes. I plan to remain here until I submit my TMDSAS application on May 1, 2016.

My official residence might have changed post-college, when I lived in the Middle East and Europe for 6 months? Not sure if that matters much though.

So I should just claim residency under option 1? Option 2 is tough because I file my own taxes, own no property, and might not have a job in the months leading up to my application or thereafter.

I'd call and ask just to be sure, because it does matter. Your Middle East and Europe experiences -- 6 months sounds like a training program, post-graduation travel or temporary job. Is that what it was? Or were you planning to move there permanently - and did - but then changed your mind? Any reason someone would think you 'gave up' Texas as your primary residence? And did at least one of your parents stay in Texas then?

Reactions: 1 user
It was post-graduation travel, I have family in the Middle East and hold dual citizenship. I was technically conscripted into the military but never served due to health reasons. Never held a job there. My parents were both in Texas the entire time.

That said, I've been back in Texas since January 2013. I'm just concerned because I don't want to suddenly find myself a non-TX resident on some technicality and get screwed out of TX medical school options since 90% of the class is in-state.

Who would you recommend I call? A TX med school? TMDSAS?

If you're applying in May 2016, it sounds like you need to be living in Texas from October 2015 - October 2016

If you're applying in May 2016, it sounds like you need to be living in Texas from October 2015 - October 2016

Yeah that's what I thought too.