Need some help with grade replacement- who to ask?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryan17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Trying to get some help with figuring out if I can do grade replacement for the following math courses I took in undergrad 6 years ago (I need to retake, I got D's). The 4 year college in the Midwest I attended at the time had weird names for its math classes.

Pre-Cal: Was called "Algebra and Trig II"
Cal 1: Was called "Intro to Analysis I"
Algebra: Was called "Algebra and Trig I"

None of these course names exist at my local CC, or even at my local 4 year college.

My first question is can I retake these at my local community college where I'm doing my other pre-reqs due to full time work in that city? One DO school I emailed didn't like that.

My second question is, should I be concerned with what AACOMAS thinks or what individual DO schools think regarding the names of the courses being acceptable substitutes?

I emailed two DO schools and got two different responses; one said check with AACOMAS, the other had their own policy that frowned on anything at a community college as well as re-taking anything other than the exact/very similar course name.

Thanks guys!!

Members don't see this ad.

My second question is, should I be concerned with what AACOMAS thinks or what individual DO schools think regarding the names of the courses being acceptable substitutes

You should be concerned with AACOMAS first then with what the DO school thinks. The DO school will receive the report from AACOMAS. You wont meet the first pass, which determines interview worthiness based off your AACOMAS GPA. Once you pass this, then the adcom of the school will determine if your curriculum is worthy according to their standards.

The class names you list are very generic so it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to find replacements. If you are truly worried, you could just go ahead and take them wherever you find them (like at the CC) and Ace the next class in the series, presumably Calc 2, to squash any lingering concerns, that might be overkill but would settle the question. If you are worried about your performance in Calc 2 then it wont matter assuming the rest of your GPA is good.