need some help with options :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental diva

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my DAT today and didn't do as well as i hoped (21 19 16 sciences, 19 RC 17 PAT 16 QR) and i have a pretty low gpa (3.4/3.1 science.) I know that I can do an unofficial postbac or an smp, is there anyone who has any words of advice for what my next steps should be? i've researched my options a little but i'm not sure what the best path is. thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I just took my DAT today and didn't do as well as i hoped (21 19 16 sciences, 19 RC 17 PAT 16 QR) and i have a pretty low gpa (3.4/3.1 science.) I know that I can do an unofficial postbac or an smp, is there anyone who has any words of advice for what my next steps should be? i've researched my options a little but i'm not sure what the best path is. thanks in advance!

whats the 21 19 16 describing? Dont know what you're AA is, that would be helpful...and schools dont care about QR. :)

1) Take more science classes and ace them.
2) Take the DAT after 3 months of intense studying and get a 23+ AA.
3) Reapply next year.
4) ????
5) Profit

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, First thing is first

Retake the DAT. I calculated you getting an 18 if I did the math right. An 18 won't cut it unless you have a higher GPA to back it up. I don't think you need to make a 23. A 21+ would put you in the running. Remember the Average accepted candidate has a 19 DAT and a 3.5. So if you have around a 21 or 22 with a slightly higher GPA than you have now. You have a really good shot of acceptance.

Take most classes to bump up the GPA. I would apply to your state school. Past that I wouldn't apply anywhere else unless you have spare cash.

Well, First thing is first

Retake the DAT. I calculated you getting an 18 if I did the math right. An 18 won't cut it unless you have a higher GPA to back it up. I don't think you need to make a 23. A 21+ would put you in the running. Remember the Average accepted candidate has a 19 DAT and a 3.5. So if you have around a 21 or 22 with a slightly higher GPA than you have now. You have a really good shot of acceptance.

Take most classes to bump up the GPA. I would apply to your state school. Past that I wouldn't apply anywhere else unless you have spare cash.

so you're saying next cycle, right? my state school is university of illinois chicago, which from what i've been hearing, i don't have much of a shot at right now.

so you're saying next cycle, right? my state school is university of illinois chicago, which from what i've been hearing, i don't have much of a shot at right now.

Could you give your actual breakdown in AA/TS format? Also, what's your BCP?

Could you give your actual breakdown in AA/TS format? Also, what's your BCP?

bcp is 3.1, i don't actually know my real sGPA with math and stats in it but it's definitely higher.

this is off the top of my head i can give you guys percents later!

AA 18
TS 18
RC 19
Bio 16
GC 21
OC 19
QR 16
PAT 17

i definitely should've postponed a week and worked on bio and qr, i spent way too much time on orgo since i never learned it properly the first time around. i hadn't even taken a full QR test besides topscore haha, lesson learned i guess :laugh: Either way, i do think i can do pretty decent if i retake.

yeah your AA is low given your GPA.

One of them has to come up. Preferably both of them. I think if you made a 20 you'd have a shot...with a 21 i think you'd be competitive at some schools. An 18 to a 21 is a big jump, but it is possible with hard work. If you are going to try this cycle, submit now to your state school. sign up for the DAT again. Bust ass until the DAT. Even if you come up to a 20 you've significantly improved your chances.

Part of dental school is the lottery. Just gotta hope you get lucky.

Don't apply this cycle, retake dat.you need 21+ with your GPA

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

yeah your AA is low given your GPA.

One of them has to come up. Preferably both of them. I think if you made a 20 you'd have a shot...with a 21 i think you'd be competitive at some schools. An 18 to a 21 is a big jump, but it is possible with hard work. If you are going to try this cycle, submit now to your state school. sign up for the DAT again. Bust ass until the DAT. Even if you come up to a 20 you've significantly improved your chances.

Part of dental school is the lottery. Just gotta hope you get lucky.

i feel like it's just bio QR and pat that gave me trouble, QR i didn't really study for. I think i'm going to hold off until next cycle, i don't want to waste time and money with this cycle, and i think i can do a lot better on the dat. thanks again everyone