Need some info pls. ....m

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muttmommy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone - I'm new here and looking for some information about older students/getting into vet school.

I am 36, mother of two and just graduated after 15+ yrs. with an undergrad in history. My husband is er - less than supportive and cringes everytime I bring up vet school. My GPA was less than stellar early on in college - I got C's mostly in the few science courses I did take and not the best in math. However, I feel that the older I get, the more focused I get. My GPA has improved steadily over the years even if it isn't very competitive at the moment.

Anyway - with that in mind, I know I would have to go back to do the pre-reqs or even a second degree in Biology for vet school. If I did well in that area, plus a decent score on the GRE, does anyone know if that would be good enough to be accepted?

Sorry to go on for so long - thanks and I appreciate any input!!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any exp in VET Med? Most Vet schools have a certain about of hours you have to work in VET Med even to be considered. As far as grades are concerned where do you want to go? Have you taken the VCAT? Most Vet schools are moving away from GRE it's too easy. Lots of older people get into VET school age is not an issue. GOOD LUCK. Vet school is harder to get into than med school.

I just wanted to let you know it can be done! I graduated with an English degree and a 3.0 gpa before I decided to go to vet school. I went back and took only the pre-reqs instead of going for a second degree. It only took two school years and the summer in between. Even though my pre-req grades were much improved over my previous ones (A's and B's instead of B's and C's) - my overall gpa was still only about a 3.2 when I applied.

I read that the average accepted applicant to the particular vet school I was interested in scored 1850 on the GRE - so I aimed to get above that to help make up for my noncompetitive gpa. I also tried to get diverse animal/veterinary experience, although after talking to the students in my vet school class, many of them had hundreds if not thousands of hours more than I did! Amazingly, I was waitlisted and accepted on the first try. You can do it!

The dean of admissions of the school you're interested in can give you detailed info about the average gpa/gre/hours of experience that they accept. Some schools (mine included) have an absolute minimum gpa that you must have to be considered. But, if you're below this gpa, you can still petition to apply, especially if there is a logical reason your gpa is lower (such as an older student who has shown great improvement in the recent past but is hindered by his/her original undergrad grades.)

Good luck - and keep us posted!

Peggy

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I'm interested in vet school too with kind of a not so stellar GPA. I've called some admissions people and asked for their advice and well, also talked to this college that has a prevet science program I might be interested in in the future. He told me most admissions for vet school focus alot on the GRE. So if yer GPA is less than stellar focus on yer last 45 sem hrs and do well on the GRE probably the 80th percentile. I've even heard ppl getting masters degrees before going to vet school. Drexel has a veterinary med science pgm that kinda gurantees you admission to a vet school once u finish their one yr. pgm. but its really competitive to get in. Its in PA tho, I dunno where u live?

Hi Medtechv79,
Thanks so much for all your advice!! I actually do live in PA but in Gettysburg which is about two-three hours away from Drexel. I didn't know they had a vet med science program there. I will definitely look into it - thanks again!!

Hi PBurris (Peggy),

Thanks so much for all your support and advice!! I really was feeling very discouraged about the whole thing. Reading your post really cheered me up and gave me the encouragement I needed!!! Thanks again and I will definitely be taking your advice into consideration!! Cheers!!

just a thought... and i might not have the most up-to-date info... but as of last June, the VCAT was no longer available to be taken. The compnay that produced the test decided to no longer admister it, but that doesn't mean that someone else has picked it up since last summer. Just wanted to give a heads up that you may have to take the MCAT instead (I know that as of last fall, Missouri was no longer going to accept the GRE and would only take the MCAT).

Again, sorry if my info isn't completely up to date... after getting in I haven't followed alot info for applying!

Heliums said:
Have you taken the VCAT? Most Vet schools are moving away from GRE it's too easy.

Sorry, but that's completely not true. The VCAT doesn't even exist anymore. A very few American schools will accept the MCAT but almost all prefer the GRE.

Hi Muttmommy,

I have spent a lot of time researching and applying to vet schools and it is a lot of work. I am hoping to get in for next Fall. Much of the info on this thread is dead on, especially from Pburris, Medtech and Vegan. First, the GRE general test is still the major exam accepted by most vet schools. As far as I know, only Missouri requires the MCAT now. Michigan will accept it, but also accepts the GRE. Most only look at quantitative and verbal skills, but since a number of them also look at analytical, it's in your best interest to do well on all three sections. Your score on this test can make up for grades to some extent. Like Medtech said, the last 30-45 hours is weighed more heavily than the rest of your academics for many schools. For you, I take it, this is a good thing. It is good for many, but not all, applicants.

As for your age... oh man, go for it! I am in my late 20's and veterinary medicine is going to be my second career. I know of someone in his mid-50's who will be starting in the Fall. So you see, your 36 is not an issue! :cool: The most important thing here, is that you let the admissions committees see why you are just now pursuing your dream. This is where the essay (and interview) come in. I spoke to one Admissions officer who said that in the essay they like to read a "good story." :p Show them how your maturity and experience are strengths, not weaknesses. This goes for any applicant, of any age or background. For example, if you waited tables before, tell them about it. It may not seem relevant, but not every person can take that kind of constant stress in stride. It's admirable. My point is: make who you are work for you, not against you. Your talent at making yourself stand out will speak for you, and speak well.

There is a lot more to say, but vet schools can be quite flexible in their requirements. If you see that 4 credits of biochem is required and you have only 3... *ASK* They might decide that your other classes or qualities make up for this; they might not. If you don't ask you won't know. Some of their answers have surprised me. You've come this far and if you want it bad enough, you can make it!

:luck: Good luck :luck: in following your dreams and God bless! :)

Sorry this is so late in getting back to you - I had a serious bout of discouragement and am just now getting back to speed with my veterinary dream.

Thanks so much - not only to you but to everyone else if I haven't said so already (the mind, you know, is a terrible thing to waste!! hee heee!!) - your post really cheered me up!! It will be a long hard road, but I am really starting to realize just how worth it it will be. So thanks again - I do appreciate it!!