Need some last minute help (3.65 cGPA, 3.57 sGPA, 37M)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdover52

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I've been reading a lot of MDapps and threads on SDN and starting to get freaked out about the whole process (I really would like to get in somewhere and not have to reapply). I'm a VA resident, go to Wash U undergrad. My cGPA is 3.65, sGPA is 3.57, MCAT is 37M (13V, 12 BS, 12PS). EC's include:
-4 years of research during college (including full time during summers), no publications though :(
-5 months of shadowing in ER, also started shadowing this summer to get some more clinical experience
-Involved with orientation, tour guide, freshmen advisor, etc
My AMCAS already verified, cover letter/LOR's should be done by next week, my list of schools atm:

Einstein
BU
Case Western
Columbia
Drexel
Emory
Eastern Virginia
GW
Michigan
Mount Sinai
Pitt
PSU
Upenn
UVA
Vanderbilt
VCU
Wash U
Wake Forest

I feel like I've applied pretty broadly as I realize my GPA is on the low end and my EC's aren't anything amazing, I grew up in Pittsburgh and only moved to VA after high school hence why all the PA schools. I was wondering if I should add a few more mid/low tier schools? If so, does anyone have any suggestions that seem to be a good fit for me? Ideally, I would like to be near a big city... thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is right at average, so stop worrying about that. Your clinical experience is a bit lacking, but you should be able to get by. Your list of schools looks pretty good to me. It might be a little reach-heavy, but that's probably okay with 3 great state schools at your disposal.

Your GPA is right at average, so stop worrying about that. Your clinical experience is a bit lacking, but you should be able to get by. Your list of schools looks pretty good to me. It might be a little reach-heavy, but that's probably okay with 3 great state schools at your disposal.

thanks for the response, do you think it's worth adding a few more lower-tier schools though? money is not a concern btw

Members don't see this ad :)
Then yeah, definitely. Tulane, SLU, Jefferson, Temple, RFU, and Creighton would all be good choices. Too many options is a wonderful problem to have.

Then yeah, definitely. Tulane, SLU, Jefferson, Temple, RFU, and Creighton would all be good choices. Too many options is a wonderful problem to have.

I will look into those schools, thanks for the help

wow if his clinical experience is lacking then i am kinda screwed.. lol. but i think adding those schools will help you out just in case :) good luck

Did you volunteer at all? If not, try to volunteer at a hospital for a few hours a week then you can probably send in some update letters along with secondaries. As far as adding more schools, if you've got the money, time, and desire to fill them out, definitely go for it. It can't possibly hurt your chances unless it takes away quality from your other secondaries. Your grades/MCAT are very solid, just do some volunteering and hope for the best...Good Luck!

wow if his clinical experience is lacking then i am kinda screwed.. lol. but i think adding those schools will help you out just in case :) good luck

Heh, it says 5 months but it was only a few hours a week, which, compared to some people on here is nothing. Like I said, I keep telling myself I will be fine but there's always a little voice in the back of my head telling me otherwise :(. Thanks for the help though, best of luck to you too.

Did you volunteer at all? If not, try to volunteer at a hospital for a few hours a week then you can probably send in some update letters along with secondaries. As far as adding more schools, if you've got the money, time, and desire to fill them out, definitely go for it. It can't possibly hurt your chances unless it takes away quality from your other secondaries. Your grades/MCAT are very solid, just do some volunteering and hope for the best...Good Luck!

No, I have not volunteered at a hospital (at least in college), but I have been involved with orientation, adivising, giving tours, hosting high school students, etc... which I think is volunteering?. I will see if I can start putting in a few hours at the hospital, but I don't want it to come off as me padding my resume last minute to adcoms. Also, I am all but finished with the secondaries on my list at this point, so I might try and look for schools with short/no secondary essays and send them in just to see what happens. Thanks for the advice

jdover52 said:
Heh, it says 5 months but it was only a few hours a week, which, compared to some people on here is nothing. Like I said, I keep telling myself I will be fine but there's always a little voice in the back of my head telling me otherwise :(. Thanks for the help though, best of luck to you too.
Clinical experience is about quality, not quantity, so don't worry TOO much (although more can never hurt you, so definitely take advantage of additional opportunities if you can). You want to be able to connect your experiences to your interest in medicine and understanding of the profession. If what you've gotten thus far allows you to do that with ease (imagine yourself answering the "why medicine?" question during an interview or while writing essays), then you should be fine. Besides, you've gotten four years of research under your belt, which is quite impressive; it shows both commitment and a dedication to investigation.

jdover52 said:
no publications though :(
Again, don't worry about it. Very few receive this honor as undergraduates, for it is both challenging and highly based on luck. Keep in mind that SDN makes up a very biased sample of the medical school application pool, so what you see here is NOT the norm.