Need some Pants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Weirdy

Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some interview pants.

Already have a charcoal black jacket that's tailored.

Havn't shopped around yet (gf will probably be a godsend for that)

You guys/gals have any suggestions? What stores yall trust?

Dug around the forums and they all say go used/full set/tailored but I'm on a budget.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say look at ross that's where I found mine for a steal of 12.99 for some Ralph Lauren ones.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I too, like to shop at Ross.

If the pants match the jacket color-wise but the cloth isn't exactly the same, do you think I'd get crucified by adcoms?
huuuuugeee fashion nut here. I made the thread in the resident/physician pod forum about how pods dress to work.

Do NOT match pants with jacket color. Ever. Unless you buy a full suit. Else it'll look bad and look like you failed at matching.

Second, the average person usually doesn't know or care behind the basics of fashion. And in a med school interview, you can get away with not wearing the best brand or not having things perfect. It's more about just looking presentable and usually a suit will suffice. What you say is more important.

Third, you said you're on a budget. Depending on what you like / comfortable with, you can score some pretty quality expensive suits for a like a fraction of the cost. IF--BIG IF--you don't mind going thrift or used. Completley up to you.

But you sound like you're going to go pants and blazer vs. A full suit. That works too.

For just pants:
-Lands End
-J. Crew Factory
-Ebay (you can score brand new with tags. Just know the brands you want)
-LL Bean
-Marshalls
-Burlington Coat Factory
-TJ Maxx

The idea is that well fitting clothes that complement your frame will ALWAYS look best. So when you buy these pants, consider going to a tailor and dropping a few bucks to get them hemmed in a way where there's very little to no break (the pants just slightly touch your shoes). It'll look clean and neater that way.

Now you have a charcoal black jacket? If it's not too late, would you consider grabbing a navy one? :D

Post pics of your blazer please. (If you don't mind)

Here's a full suit for $225. (If you don't mind the thrifting route). Normally costs in the $500 range. Good quality too.

You guys are a Godsend.

Have a suit but its not tailored (got it years ago by mom...who always pushed looser/bigger sizes).

Have a blazer I picked up that fits very well and looks very nice on my frame. Will try to post pics later.

Really wanted this electric deep blue suit w/ pants at Macy's but that sucker would've been $300 (I know...not much in the grand scheme of things but I just spent appx $500 on airplane tickets and a hotel for the first interview....like godddam).

I'm just a grad student working part time with full time night classes. I will def check out these suggestions @dr.phoot

@ldsrmdude Completely agree. I think for residency I will go with the full blue suit I've always looked at from afar.

Reactions: 1 users
Navy and/or gray suits are a MUST that every man should have in their wardrobe.

I completley forgot. Check out combatant gentleman. Google it. They make very nice affordable suits like in the $100s range. They're tailored / fitted already. Not bad for your first suit or something you need quickly.

You can take your time later to buy quality Brooks Brothers suits when you become a pod.

I'm sooo happy for you & jealous at the same time, man. Have fun at the interviews and make us ('16/'17 cycle applicants) proud!! looking forward to your post in the accepted students thread ; )

Reactions: 1 users
Any girls on here have any advice for me on what to wear to the interview? :) :)

Navy and/or gray suits are a MUST that every man should have in their wardrobe.

I completley forgot. Check out combatant gentleman. Google it. They make very nice affordable suits like in the $100s range. They're tailored / fitted already. Not bad for your first suit or something you need quickly.

You can take your time later to buy quality Brooks Brothers suits when you become a pod.

I'm sooo happy for you & jealous at the same time, man. Have fun at the interviews and make us ('16/'17 cycle applicants) proud!! looking forward to your post in the accepted students thread ; )

I lay in bed at night........and freak out more about not having matching pants than anything else.

Driving me nuts lol.

Hahah oh you....

You actually don't want to match it though. It's bad to match a blazer / sport coat with the pants; don't wear the same colors

You can just go with khaki colored trousers / chinos to be on the safe side. If your coat is a very dark color, then lighter colored gray pants could do the trick too.
And we can't rule out brown, navy, all depends on what it looks like. I'll see if I can get you some pics for ideas / inspiration

You can do it lol
I lay in bed at night........and freak out more about not having matching pants than anything else.

Driving me nuts lol.

@ldsrmdude Completely agree. I think for residency I will go with the full blue suit I've always looked at from afar.
Sounds good, but don't forget that first you have to interview with the schools. Get a suit for your school interviews. I'm not saying that slacks and a blazer will doom you, but why not try to stack things in your favor as much as possible. You're selling yourself short if you don't go with a full suit for school interviews, IMO.