Need some perspective please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What should I fix in my next application?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

coppernickel

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied this past cycle to enter Fall 2016, have been waitlisted at 2 schools.

My stats:
MCAT 507
cGPA 3.44
sGPA 3.46

I graduated from UChicago in 2011, double major (Econ/Chem), had analyst jobs since. Started working as a full time EMT just when I submitted my applications.

As I look to reapply, I am considering post bac programs to boost my GPA and will retake the MCAT (even though it hurts me inside). By the time I reapply, my sGPA would be 3.69 and I would've spent 3,000+ hours as an EMT/ER tech.

Do you think that would finally be good enough to get into a few med schools? What would you consider the main issue in this first application?

PS. I have asked schools for feedback, and am waiting... Apologies if I sound like annoying in this post. It took a lot for me to finally get on here and post this. FML.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply DO!! Do some shadowing of a DO and get a LOR, and apply yesterday. Your stats in general just suck for an MD and fixing such will probably take 2+ years and may mess up your excellent chances for a DO.

Good luck

Reactions: 2 users
What is your state of residence?
Where did you apply and interview last cycle?
Any shadowing/research?

With a 3.44/507, you are a below average MD applicant. Your school list and state of residence will largely determine your chances of an MD acceptance.

As @DrMikeP suggested, you should be fine for DO schools

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure why people are saying you're below average when 507 is (from what I found on the interwebz) the average MCAT of accepted students this year. What are your ECs? A lot of people put too much weight on their stats and don't realize that there is a lot of other factors that go into a medical school acceptance. I get the feeling you may not have applied early/broadly enough and just need some tweaking to get to where you need to be.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The OP's stats (not necessarily her application) are below average for MD schools. That is the most objective info she has given us that we can comment on

The median GPA/MCAT for 2015-2016 MD matriculants is a 3.7/31.4
A 507 is about a 29 and the OP has a 3.44 GPA.

For this reason I asked for OP's school list, state of residence, and to expand on her EC's to get a better idea of how she can improve her chances

I applied this past cycle to enter Fall 2016, have been waitlisted at 2 schools.

My stats:
MCAT 507
cGPA 3.44
sGPA 3.46

I graduated from UChicago in 2011, double major (Econ/Chem), had analyst jobs since. Started working as a full time EMT just when I submitted my applications.

As I look to reapply, I am considering post bac programs to boost my GPA and will retake the MCAT (even though it hurts me inside). By the time I reapply, my sGPA would be 3.69 and I would've spent 3,000+ hours as an EMT/ER tech.

Do you think that would finally be good enough to get into a few med schools? What would you consider the main issue in this first application?

PS. I have asked schools for feedback, and am waiting... Apologies if I sound like annoying in this post. It took a lot for me to finally get on here and post this. FML.
Apply broadly and don't overlook DO. I work with very good cardiologist who went to a DO school in Pennsylvania, and another critical care guru who went DO. A lot of premed students are so into themselves that they can't think. Goodluck!

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The OP's stats (not necessarily her application) are below average for MD schools. That is the most objective info she has given us that we can comment on

The median GPA/MCAT for 2015-2016 MD matriculants is a 3.7/31.4
A 507 is about a 29 and the OP has a 3.44 GPA.

For this reason I asked for OP's school list, state of residence, and to expand on her EC's to get a better idea of how she can improve her chances

Ah I guess I wasn't making the correct correlation between new MCAT scores and how they measure up to the old system as a website I was looking at earlier this week stated that a 507 was the average for matriculants. I'm guessing that wasn't correct or that it was counting DO as well as MD. Thanks for the clarification!

Reactions: 1 user
They're encouraging DO because both GPAs are low quartile for matriculants and the MCAT is unspectacular.

This is somewhat offset by institutional quality and major choice, but applying only MD wouldn't be wise.

I would definitely apply DO, if I were in your shoes. As others have said, your GPA is below average for MD and although your MCAT score isn't terrible, it isn't great either. The fact that you were waitlisted at 2 schools shows that you're not a bad candidate! I would guess that your stats just weren't strong enough to push you over the edge to an acceptance. But you'll have a better shot at DO (where the average matriculant GPA is a bit lower) and you can apply right now! In fact, the longer DO cycle will give you time to shadow/get a DO letter. Think of all the money and time you'd save by not having to take more classes and retake the MCAT. The end goal is to be a doctor, no?

Not sure why people are saying you're below average when 507 is (from what I found on the interwebz) the average MCAT of accepted students this year. What are your ECs? A lot of people put too much weight on their stats and don't realize that there is a lot of other factors that go into a medical school acceptance. I get the feeling you may not have applied early/broadly enough and just need some tweaking to get to where you need to be.
Average includes the low population MD schools that accept fairly low MCAT from in-state applicants but are not an option for out of state applicants, as well as URM. So if you're not from one of those states or URM and you're average, then you're below average for your demographics and your school options.

With stats you have to weigh GPA and MCAT together to say if the student is strong or weak. A student with a 3.9 GPA can get away with a lower MCAT much like a 525 can get away with a lower GPA. Thus solo averages can be misleading. It gets even more complicated when you add in ECs, LORs, state preference, urm status, etc. These days schools are getting a ton of great applications (some 10000 for 175 slots) and can really pick and choose. If OP had a 3.95 GPA and stellar rest of the app and lived in the right state with a 507 then the recs would be different.

So the choice comes down to invest 2yrs plus and fix the stats, relocate, and reapply still risking rejection or go for a DO and have a really good chance with 2+ yrs more of earning potential. Up to the op on which is better as making that best decision involves more than what info was given.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Your numbers are somewhat below average but certainly not 'disqualifying' -- which means that you need to focus on some other reason to make the AdCom members say "Wow! We want to talk to her."

As has been said, you can absolutely apply DO now and have a decent chance.

But if you're set on MD, I'd focus on your activities. You need something compelling that will make you stand out. My suggestion is that you volunteer with a population that makes other people (or even you) uncomfortable -- the disabled, mentally ill, dying, homeless, low-English, etc. Do some social activism of a sort. Something that is definitely not cookie-cutter.

And as also has been said, look at your state of residence and in-state options. If they're unfavorable, consider relocating.

To follow up on my young colleague's excellent comments, I would add "service to others less fortunate than yourself".

Your numbers are somewhat below average but certainly not 'disqualifying' -- which means that you need to focus on some other reason to make the AdCom members say "Wow! We want to talk to her."

As has been said, you can absolutely apply DO now and have a decent chance.

But if you're set on MD, I'd focus on your activities. You need something compelling that will make you stand out. My suggestion is that you volunteer with a population that makes other people (or even you) uncomfortable -- the disabled, mentally ill, dying, homeless, low-English, etc. Do some social activism of a sort. Something that is definitely not cookie-cutter.

And as also has been said, look at your state of residence and in-state options. If they're unfavorable, consider relocating.

Just out of curiosity, are you URM? did you apply early last year?
I am also a re applicant and my numbers are lower than yours. I am reapplying MD and DO. Did not have a DO letter last time which is a must. I applied super late last time though, took MCAT in september.