Need some reassurance here..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acetyl_Bro-A

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Thank you for your time in reading my post. I'm primarily writing this to receive anecdotal responses in regards to my stats. I am applying to about 23 MD schools and 8 DO schools. Below are my stats.

Arizona Resident

cGPA: 3.67
sGPA: 3.57

MCAT: 505-507 w/ confidence interval

Research: Currently doing patient data research with two physicians at a children's hospital (2nd authoring the paper), as well as working in a lab with my former pharmacology prof.

Clinical volunteering: 150 hours spread over a 1.25 years

Nonclinical volunteering: 1000+ hours of volunteering in my church throughout high school and college, as well as holding a chairperson position for a couple years in our young professionals organization.

Shadowing: None yet, but I plan on shadowing an internist/family doctor habitually, as well as an internist for healthcare for the homeless once for 8 hours.

EDIT: I recently just got hired to work as a scribe in the ED.

My preference is to go to an MD, preferably in my home state. How are my chances of doing so? I have been told I have a great chance to get into a DO, which is great to hear, but with the specialties I am thinking of getting into (NS, anesthesia, or ED) I have been told that the ACGME residencies >>> AOA ones.

All thoughts, criticisms, and comments are greatly welcomed and appreciated. Thanks you again for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

You know this already: You have great chance at DO schools. However, your MCAT is a bit on the lower side for MD, and so is your GPA. You have the expected "check-boxes" for research, volunteering, and leadership. It's great that you'll be an ED scribe. You'll learn a lot and it's gonna be a great thing to talk about in your app. This, however, is also another experience that has become more and more common among applicants. I'm assuming that you'll be applying for the entering class of 2017. If so, you have until June/July to improve your app as best you can. I would suggest, if you have the time, doing something a bit more special. Something that might put you apart from thousands and thousands of other applicants who have similar experiences and stats. Other than that, apply broadly and strategically. Judging from the number of schools you're planning to apply, it seems that you already know this.

TL;DR: Your stats are a bit low for MD schools, but it's still very much doable with a bit of luck. Use any free time you have to find something special that you really wanna do, which might set you apart from other applicants.

Concur. The only MD schools worth trying might be your state schools, if any. Unless you live in CA.

You know this already: You have great chance at DO schools. However, your MCAT is a bit on the lower side for MD, and so is your GPA. You have the expected "check-boxes" for research, volunteering, and leadership. It's great that you'll be an ED scribe. You'll learn a lot and it's gonna be a great thing to talk about in your app. This, however, is also another experience that has become more and more common among applicants. I'm assuming that you'll be applying for the entering class of 2017. If so, you have until June/July to improve your app as best you can. I would suggest, if you have the time, doing something a bit more special. Something that might put you apart from thousands and thousands of other applicants who have similar experiences and stats. Other than that, apply broadly and strategically. Judging from the number of schools you're planning to apply, it seems that you already know this.

TL;DR: Your stats are a bit low for MD schools, but it's still very much doable with a bit of luck. Use any free time you have to find something special that you really wanna do, which might set you apart from other applicants.

Hello everyone. Thank you for your time in reading my post. I'm primarily writing this to receive anecdotal responses in regards to my stats. I am applying to about 23 MD schools and 8 DO schools. Below are my stats.

Arizona Resident

cGPA: 3.67
sGPA: 3.57

MCAT: 505-507 w/ confidence interval

Research: Currently doing patient data research with two physicians at a children's hospital (2nd authoring the paper), as well as working in a lab with my former pharmacology prof.

Clinical volunteering: 150 hours spread over a 1.25 years

Nonclinical volunteering: 1000+ hours of volunteering in my church throughout high school and college, as well as holding a chairperson position for a couple years in our young professionals organization.

Shadowing: None yet, but I plan on shadowing an internist/family doctor habitually, as well as an internist for healthcare for the homeless once for 8 hours.

EDIT: I recently just got hired to work as a scribe in the ED.

My preference is to go to an MD, preferably in my home state. How are my chances of doing so? I have been told I have a great chance to get into a DO, which is great to hear, but with the specialties I am thinking of getting into (NS, anesthesia, or ED) I have been told that the ACGME residencies >>> AOA ones.

All thoughts, criticisms, and comments are greatly welcomed and appreciated. Thanks you again for your time.

There are D.O grads you gets match into Anesthesia and ED, so don't completely rule out the D.O route. However, if you are really fixated on MD then probably retake your mcat and try to get higher scores.