Need some serious encouragement/advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrBeans

MrBeans
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really starting to freak out about getting into the Minnesota Dental School. :scared:

My stats are as follows:
cGPA 3.5
sGPA ~ 3.2-3.3 (can't calculate exactly because I don't know how AADSAS will process)
BCP ~ 3.1-3.2

DAT: 20AA/21TS/21PAT

I am anticipating stellar LORs, a great personal statement, and I have several ECs.

What's really concerning me right now is my science GPA :( I had a sour senior year as a bio major, and hence the sGPA being low.

I hope the University of Minnesota is within my grasp! I desperately want to go there for many reasons.

What do you guys think? :help:

Members don't see this ad.

Is no one responding because I'm doomed? :(

What do you think I should expect from the adcoms, especially at Minnesota?

I'm really freaking out here!

Though I'm a senior in high school, my advice to you is this:

Just apply as early as you can and chill out. Apply widely to many schools, and I'm sure you'll get in somewhere.

Just relax. My classmates acted the same way for admission into college. Just don't let it get to you and be patient.

Everything that has happened so far has happened, and you can't do anything to change it. Worrying about it is just a waste of your time. Focus your energy on the things that you can actually change, such as turning your application on time and writing a stellar personal statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are instate, you may have a better shot, but truthfully I wouldn't put all of my "stock" into one school. I would encourage you to apply to about 6-8. I'd also consider talking to adcom members at Minn before you send in your application and ask what you can do to improve your chances. I did this and I think it helps.

Thanks for the great advice :thumbup:

I think it would be a stretch to get in at Minnesota because of my sGPA, but both of your comments are very helpful.

Relaxing is the best policy, I shouldn't worry about things I cannot change.

And talking to the adcoms seems certainly worthwhile. I'd like to get all the help I can possibly obtain.

Oh man guys, it's stressful nonetheless :scared:

Minnesota, please! :xf::luck:

Good luck... and yeah, it's hard to relax but worthwhile. Do all you can do and figure if you get into Minn great and if you get into another school instead you never know what that may lead to.

I applied in my hometown (Buffalo NY) to grad school but they told me that if I didn't maintain a B in every course, I wouldn't be back for my second year. I didn't think it would be worth the risk when VCU took me without such a stipulation. Because of this, I married the man of my dreams. We moved back to Buffalo and then back to VCU again for dental where he has fallen into some great photography work. Seems everything works out for the best, even if you don't think so at the time.

He loves Richmond and aside from tuition, I love VCU.