Need some suggestions/help on where to aim, and how to improve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ResidencyHopeful123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

Edit: Thanks for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Tell the truth- you posted all this just to brag/satisfy your ego.

-All schools like the same things and obviously you have solid chances at top 20 schools.
-Obviously one should apply to safeties just in case.
-Don't know what else anyone can say.

Reactions: 1 user
Wasn't trying to brag :(

Local advisors have been telling me that I need much more clinical, and have dictated way too much on research (and that I may be in trouble since no pubs have come of it).

And top 20 is largely a crapshoot based on what rest of SDN is saying. Just trying to fund some holes in the app, fix things if necessary.

If I came across as arrogant, apologies :(

Members don't see this ad :)
1.Wrong place for thread. For future references this should be posted in "What are my chances" section @Ismet can move this for you (do not repost this).

2. Get the MSAR and come up with your own list, we are not going to this for you. However, we will help you eliminate some schools on your list if they are not the best "fit" for you.

You do have a solid app though. Just keep up the good work. If you are looking for something new to add to your app, I suppose you could get some leadership or teaching experience. Up to you though.

Wasn't trying to brag :(

Local advisors have been telling me that I need much more clinical, and have dictated way too much on research (and that I may be in trouble since no pubs have come of it).

And top 20 is largely a crapshoot based on what rest of SDN is saying. Just trying to fund some holes in the app, fix things if necessary.

If I came across as arrogant, apologies :(

No need for an apology, you just have a really really solid application.

Your ECs and numbers are fantastic. Just be able to relay your experiences well, and what you have learned from them in a limited amount of space. Stats-wise you're fine for anywhere really. Remember to apply as early as you can, write a killer personal statement, rock your secondaries, and you should be sitting on multiple interview invites this time next year.

Keep doing what you're doing, and enjoy college =D

Good luck!

This is why many people complain about SDN; "star" applicants come on and ask silly questions about admission chances :cool:

-About 200 hours (by the time of app) working at a local Free Clinic as an EMR (3 years, including this year).

200 hrs over 3 (academic) years is less than 2 hours a week(?) Maybe increase your commitment. If you want to basically do this but get paid, get a CNA license and get your feet a little wetter.

This is why many people complain about SDN; "star" applicants come on and ask silly questions about admission chances :cool:

200 hrs over 3 (academic) years is less than 2 hours a week(?) Maybe increase your commitment. If you want to basically do this but get paid, get a CNA license and get your feet a little wetter.

Again, wasn't fishing for compliments or anything :(

Thank you for the help though. That 200 hours is a rough estimate, but I work about 3-4 hours a week. I'll try to get in more hours, but unfortunately, I think a CNA might be too large a commitment right now (would need to take more classes).

I think a CNA might be too large a commitment right now (would need to take more classes).

Fair, but just be aware that you can find 5-day CNA licensure programs that are legit (but intense).

Fair, but just be aware that you can find 5-day CNA licensure programs that are legit (but intense).

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to consider it for future breaks.

Just a follow-up for those in the know-how. As I mentioned earlier, I have a paper in the works, but I highly doubt it will be submitted until after applications are submitted in the next cycle. How does one communicate the upcoming publication (especially if its decided by my PI that the publication must coincide with my senior thesis, well after acceptances are given). Am I out of luck? I can imagine that adcoms don't take it seriously if you just say "publication incoming soon".

Thank you all again. Per Mr. Interesting's suggestion, I have purchased the MSAR, and have begun to read up about schools.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to consider it for future breaks.

Just a follow-up for those in the know-how. As I mentioned earlier, I have a paper in the works, but I highly doubt it will be submitted until after applications are submitted in the next cycle. How does one communicate the upcoming publication (especially if its decided by my PI that the publication must coincide with my senior thesis, well after acceptances are given). Am I out of luck? I can imagine that adcoms don't take it seriously if you just say "publication incoming soon".

Thank you all again. Per Mr. Interesting's suggestion, I have purchased the MSAR, and have begun to read up about schools.
In your entry for the research, write a sentence that you are working on a paper with an expected submission date of X month or something. Then you can update schools later in the cycle with an update letter.