need suggestion for application this year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuronwangyu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I love neurology and neuroscience and am aiming at the programs that emphasize both clinic training and research. My background includes 3 year residency training back in China, a "possible" ph.D degree in neuroscience next early year, 20 first or co-author paper and several abstracts and book chapters, USMLE 92/95, have not done CS, no need for H1 visa, no US clinical experience but may have LORs from US well-known physicians.

I definitely know the chance for me to get into "top" programs is small, so I am aiming at programs that has good clinic training and OK research. I read many topic here which mainly discussed top 10/20 programs. Anybody can give any idea about good programs? Right, must be "IMG friendly".

Members don't see this ad.

There's not a lot of neurology programs out there so it is possible to go by geography and take your state preference if you have one. I looked at Freida and searched the web for the programs I was interested in. Then I emailed those whom I was really interested in to see if I fit their requirements. The usual filters would be visa sponsorship, US clinical experience, and ecfmg certification. You don't have to apply to uber many. Just apply widely. Have a few long shots. It's okay to dream, and you never know. I think you have good credentials anyway.
Sure IMG-friendly programs do exist, and you can tell simply by looking at the roster of their present and previous residents, but I would not apply based solely on this criteria. I was rejected by some of these IMG friendly places and interviewed at places which were not so IMG friendly. So it's really tough to tell. Some people actually don't like IMG filled places, and some people prefer them for the international feel. I believe the main merit of choosing an IMG friendly program is the fact that they won't be so clueless with facilitating the visa application. As you mention, however, you have no need for it. So I guess that opens doors for you.
Another important thing you should consider is whether the program has an integrated PGY 1 or not. If you match to an advanced but don't get a PGY 1 spot, you're on your own and you risk having no spot at all. Still, there are many advanced programs out there which seem more than worthy of taking a risk for. And of course, you should also apply to separate PGY 1 spots.

This forum is a great resource, but of course, counter check the info. Read the FAQ's and well...do your net research. It's going to be long hours in front of the PC. :)
Good luck!:luck:

Thanks a lot. I will do a lot net research as you suggested.

As you mentioned, the usual filter includes US clinic experience and ECFMG certificate which is killing me now. Because the research, I can only do an externship in neurology at a very good institution from next Feb and get ECFMG certificate the end of this year. As you see, both of them will be later than the application deadline. How can I fix the problem? Email or call the PD to tell the situation? Any other better way?

Members don't see this ad :)
Because the research, I can only do an externship in neurology at a very good institution from next Feb and get ECFMG certificate the end of this year. As you see, both of them will be later than the application deadline. How can I fix the problem? Email or call the PD to tell the situation? Any other better way?

I'm not sure I'm understanding you right. Get ECFMG certification asap, no later than January if possible (midFeb by ROL is absolute deadline). USCE is important but you can match without it. Of course you can update places where you've interviewed in about doing externships, new researches, etc. Again ROL is around February. I don't think mentioning an externship-to-be will do you that much good in securing interviews though. But it would not hurt.
Good luck

do not sell your self short. apply to several "top programs" like mayo, cleveland, etc. don't forget mayo scottsdale and jacksonville. the university of texas health system is great for clinical and research...same with oregon. research history and recommendation letters mean very much more than board scores.

do not sell your self short. apply to several "top programs" like mayo, cleveland, etc. don't forget mayo scottsdale and jacksonville. the university of texas health system is great for clinical and research...same with oregon. research history and recommendation letters mean very much more than board scores.

Hi trdbrglr, can you give more details on UT med? I guess you are talking about San Antonio program.