Need to do Pre-requisites for DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joppa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any programs in the Northeast (im located in NJ)
that would allow me to do my post-bac for DPT on a matriculated basis?
I have none of the required sciences , being that I graduated with a degree in Econ. Ive checked out Rutgers, Hunter, UMDNJ , Monmouth, Richard Stockton..

The feedback that i got back from the schools is that if I wanted to take these courses on
a matriculated basis ( i am trying to boost my gpa as well as fulfill my pre-reqs) I would have to come back for a second degree. However, I dont wantto do that because I would have to take all these extra courses that I dont need.

Im also trying to finish these pre-reqs by the end of 2010 so that i could make it in time to apply for dpt programs by the deadline ( most are by dec of each year i believe)

Members don't see this ad.

just take them all at a community college. you dont need to matriculate (but you obviously need a BA/BS before the DPT)

Does anyone know of any programs in the Northeast (im located in NJ)
that would allow me to do my post-bac for DPT on a matriculated basis?
I have none of the required sciences , being that I graduated with a degree in Econ. Ive checked out Rutgers, Hunter, UMDNJ , Monmouth, Richard Stockton..

The feedback that i got back from the schools is that if I wanted to take these courses on
a matriculated basis ( i am trying to boost my gpa as well as fulfill my pre-reqs) I would have to come back for a second degree. However, I dont wantto do that because I would have to take all these extra courses that I dont need.

Im also trying to finish these pre-reqs by the end of 2010 so that i could make it in time to apply for dpt programs by the deadline ( most are by dec of each year i believe)

Why don't you just say and "pretend" you are going for a second BS in biology or something??? This way you can enroll in most of the science pre-requisites.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't have to be a matriculated student for the courses you take post-bac to count toward your GPA. On your application, you must report ALL previous institutions attended, and all the courses you have taken are factored into your GPA. Take the classes from any institution as a non-degree seeking student. Is this what you were concerned about?

Also, most DPT programs will allow you to have a couple pre-req courses outstanding at time of application to complete during spring or summer, depending on the start date of the program. Your acceptance will just be conditional on the successful completion of these courses. You should consult the programs in which you are interested.

Last edited:
you'll likely get registration preference if you enroll as a "fake" 2nd degree student - i wish i knew this when i went back to start my pre-reqs. i'm a non-degree at two institutions, and a visiting student at two others - all separate from my undergrad degree. pre-health science courses tend to be very popular, at least in nyc, and difficult to register for. i spent a LOT of very frustrating time making sure i was enrolled in the classes i needed.

and i could be wrong, but, depending on the programs to which you're applying, i think you're gonna have a really hard time finishing all the necessary coursework if you haven't yet taken any sciences. fyi.

oh, and lots of places have a post-bac pre-health program. worth looking into, i'd say.

you'll likely get registration preference if you enroll as a "fake" 2nd degree student - i wish i knew this when i went back to start my pre-reqs. i'm a non-degree at two institutions, and a visiting student at two others - all separate from my undergrad degree. pre-health science courses tend to be very popular, at least in nyc, and difficult to register for. i spent a LOT of very frustrating time making sure i was enrolled in the classes i needed.

That makes sense. I have never had any problem getting into classes as a non-degree seeking student, but I guess it may depend on location. Certainly something to consider ...

oh, and lots of places have a post-bac pre-health program. worth looking into, i'd say.

I'm in NYC/NJ and have had an awful time as well. I'm post-bac non-degree at four different schools just to get my pre-reqs done in 2 years. Classes fill up quickly in the NYC area, so matriculating is better (just tell them you're working on your degree in...). You get to register before non-degree and tuition is a lot cheaper. Wish I had known sooner!!!

Hunter and The City College have a great pre-health program, worth considering. So does Brooklyn College, but the commute would probably be too long for you. If you work full-time, you may have a hard time finding what you are looking for at Rutgers, FYI. I'm a NJ resident and had a hard time finding classes that worked with my schedule.

If you need all your coursework, you will probably need more time. Bio I & II is usually a prereq for A&P I & II. PreCalc is a prereq for Physics. If you need upper level bio (some programs require it), you'll need even more time, alas. And I agree, go as cheap as possible - state school or community college. If the schools you are applying to accept cc coursework, BMCC is located by the PATH in lower Manhattan and is less expensive than the other CUNY's.

Good luck!

Good luck!

Thank you all for your replies.

DPTinFL and Fabregas - that is a good idea , I think i will definitely
try that. SO if i declare the second degree major, go in and take the
courses that i need, and leave before completing the major, will
those courses be factored into my undergraduate gpa? Are there
any consequences of leaving in the middle of working towards
a 2nd degree? Ive talked to the dean at Rutgers about my
situation and I feel that they might be privy to my attempt
at faking a 2nd degree. IF it turns out that there are no consequences, then i will go ahead and go in for a 2nd degree.

Going in for a 2nd degree is appealing bc those classes will count
towards your gpa that you obtained in your 1st degree.
Secondly, you will not have a problem registering for classes,
because matric students have priority over non-matrics.

climbergrrrl, are you referring to PCTAS application? I know that they factor in all the courses that you took and calculate a gpa but not
all schools accept the PCTAS and some schools have 2 applications,
PCTAS and their own. In the latter, they will not use the courses
i took on a non-matric basis to calculate the cum GPA. Becuase
im not so sure where im planning to apply to yet(still in the early stages),
i want to be able to apply to as wide a range of schools that I can.

kyra4dpt - I was considering Richard Stockton College near Atlantic City.
THey have a post-bac Pre-Health Certificate program where they allow
you to take just the courses you need and get a Certificate while ur at it.
But they wont count towards your undergrad gpa. Its still appealing bc
they do have advisors who will guide you through the whole process
and you come out with some kind of certificate.