NEED to Memorize Solubility Rules?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bmbwish

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been going over stuff i need to memorize and was not looking forward to memorizing the solubility rules... but TPR says to do it.. EK mentions them but does not reccommend memorizing or knowing them... I looked at the Kaplan book... does not even mention them!
So should I try to memorized them.. anyone remember needing them in a practice or AAMC test?

Members don't see this ad.

I do remember seeing solubility questions in at least one of the AAMC practice tests, and I think memorizing them would just make life easier. Here was a mnemonic I found in the general chemistry topic thread, which I've been using:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=210973

The mnemonic is the last post on that page, hope it helps! good luck! :luck:

from that link, what does it mean when it talks about the S and H?

"for S: Ca, Ba, Sr.....just remember the tv network CBS
for H: Ca, Ba, Sr + Happy...whats happy? Hb Ag Pb ...mercury, silvr and lead...add a py to the end and all the first letters spell HAPPY"

in TPR it doesn't mention anything about Ca Ba Sr!

frany584 said:
I do remember seeing solubility questions in at least one of the AAMC practice tests, and I think memorizing them would just make life easier. Here was a mnemonic I found in the general chemistry topic thread, which I've been using:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=210973

The mnemonic is the last post on that page, hope it helps! good luck! :luck:
thanks .. just what i needed!

Members don't see this ad :)
That mnemonic is my baby, created by none other than me during a lonely afternoon in the library =)...glad to see it being used to help other pre-meds.
maybe i can sell it to one of the big review companies and get loyalties hehe...enjoy

SilvrGrey330 said:
That mnemonic is my baby, created by none other than me during a lonely afternoon in the library =)...glad to see it being used to help other pre-meds.
maybe i can sell it to one of the big review companies and get loyalties hehe...enjoy

Check out the link; your name is there in living black and blue. ;) It's a great mnemonic, and I think it will help lots of people. Thanks again for sharing it with us, Silvr. :thumbup:

QofQuimica said:
Check out the link; your name is there in living black and blue. ;) It's a great mnemonic, and I think it will help lots of people. Thanks again for sharing it with us, Silvr. :thumbup:

hehe sweet, no problem, anything to help put my 2 cents in