Need to retake Gen Chem I over, right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wdwrn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is going to be a silly question that I know the answer to, but I have to ask. I'm going back to school for prereqs after years, and I took one semester of each Bio I and Gen Chem I (got A's in both).

My advisor has OK-ed me to jump into Bio 2, which I agree with and plan on doing, With Gen Chem though, even though I made the grade, we both agreed I'll need to start the sequence over from the beginning (obviously in order to take Gen Chem II and then OChem). There's no way to just take Gen Chem II, right? I'm by no means a chem whiz and don't remember much from Gen Chem I, so I'm thinking the answer is "yes, start over".

Members don't see this ad.

I would only retake if I needed a refresher which maybe you could get some study guides since you did get the A in Gen Chem I

I didn't find that much of gen chem II material built upon gen chem I material at my school. They contained very different and isolated concepts that could be learned on their own. If you possibly can, I'd jump into gen chem II and review some gen chem I material on your own time like mole calculations, etc. I would do this because just one semester of chem is so much work and it was the class that took up all my study time when I took it.

Maybe look to see if your gen chem I and gen chem II classes at your school use the same textbook (my school used the first half of the book for gen chem I and the last half for gen chem II) then you could buy the book, ask teachers for the 2 syllabuses from both chem classes, and briefly review gen chem I topics from the book. Then you'll be all set for gen chem II. Even if you don't review gen chem I, I think starting at gen chem II is definitely doable. But you know yourself better than I :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your responses guys, it's....not what I expected and now has the wheels upstairs rolling yet again haha.

I'm just now realizing that I definitely don't need to retake the lab if I've done that before, correct? I'm now thinking about taking Gen Chem I accelerated 10 week night session at the local CC as a refresher. The original one at my 4-year university with lab will still count, and adcoms will realize I'm taking this second one as a refresher, yes?...

I wouldn't retake it or the lab.

If you do worse your prereq score will likely be the average of the two grades.

I retook the lecture (not the lab) since my chem was >10 years old, but I also got approved to take GenChem 1 & 2 in the same semester, so it didn't add any extra time on for me. So I got the refresher (and a better grade) and moved ahead at the same time.

In my predominantly premed Gen Chem II we seemed to have quite a few people who hadn't taken Gen Chem I from the same school or in the immediately prior term.

David Klein's General Chemistry I as a Second Language: Mastering the Fundamental Skills is a helpful review of standard Gen Chem I skills, and high-yield: a little paperback about 9 by 6 inches, about 300 pages. (Work the problems!)

Last edited:
I posted in the wrong thread. Try to audit this class at community college so it won't affect your gpa. You'll need a strong foundation for the MCAT.