need verbal encouragement.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperSlim

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
mcat in may
using Kaplan 101 verbal, doing each passage in 7 minutes.
English second language meaning I don't speak it at home however it is my dominant language.
I usually do 2 verbal passages a day. I did the 3r in one sitting. I am usually able to narrow down the answers to 2.

scores from EK 101 2002:
2 7
4 8
3 9
5 8
6 6 ( was half asleep and hungry ruling it out)
Amcas #3r 7

any suggestion on how I can improve my scores, im aiming for a 10 on the real deal, although Ill be ok with 8-9. the questions I have the hardest time with are the ones asking me for specifics in the passage.

Members don't see this ad.

The ones that trouble you the most are the ones that make you look up specifics in the passage? That's interesting, because I feel like interpretation questions (i.e. interpret the author's argument, determine what the most valid counter argument would be, etc.) would be the most challenging for someone whose second language is English.

Regardless, I truly believe that all you can do is continue to practice passages and read in your free time (like the New Yorker, NYT, etc.). You can try the Princeton Review method of doing 6/7 passages and guessing completely on 1 passage - this method works if time is primarily the main factor limiting you (i.e. given enough time, you can come to the correct answer).

The ones that trouble you the most are the ones that make you look up specifics in the passage? That's interesting, because I feel like interpretation questions (i.e. interpret the author's argument, determine what the most valid counter argument would be, etc.) would be the most challenging for someone whose second language is English.

Regardless, I truly believe that all you can do is continue to practice passages and read in your free time (like the New Yorker, NYT, etc.). You can try the Princeton Review method of doing 6/7 passages and guessing completely on 1 passage - this method works if time is primarily the main factor limiting you (i.e. given enough time, you can come to the correct answer).
I usually spend my time studying now adays I have little time to read. well If im scoring 7 -8 im usually having trouble with more than the specific questions haha, but I feel that If I go back to hunt for the answer ill run out of time, especially the ones that ask about views of certain people mentioned in the passage.

@SuperSlim,

You have to practice every day. That's absolutely key, especially if English is your second or third language. Your brain is like your biceps and triceps. If you don't do curls or dips on a consistent basis, your arms are not going to grow and therefore you will not have nice arms come summer time. Workout your brain every day-as much as possible- so that you can take this exam in May and move on with your life.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users