Need your help!! Unusual situation I am in...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whawha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I have a Bachelors in Chemical Engineering and am currently doing my Masters in Chemical Engineering. I have completed all the requirements except for the biology lab. I talked to a couple of dental schools and all of them told me that I can take it while the application is processed. In other words, I will be taking DAT and applying for dental schools before I complete all the requirements. My question is then... I have two options.

1. I take the lab in June (for a month) and take DAT in August and apply for 2010 cycle. But it will be a lot harder for me, because I know how hard it will be to complete biology labs in a month.

2. I can take DAT in August after sufficient studying and apply for 2010 cycle, and while waiting, I can take the bio lab in Spring 2010.

Which do you think it's a better option? Can I really trust what dental schools told me? Or...should I wait one more year...?

Thank you for your help guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello guys,

I have a Bachelors in Chemical Engineering and am currently doing my Masters in Chemical Engineering. I have completed all the requirements except for the biology lab. I talked to a couple of dental schools and all of them told me that I can take it while the application is processed. In other words, I will be taking DAT and applying for dental schools before I complete all the requirements. My question is then... I have two options.

1. I take the lab in June (for a month) and take DAT in August and apply for 2010 cycle. But it will be a lot harder for me, because I know how hard it will be to complete biology labs in a month.

2. I can take DAT in August after sufficient studying and apply for 2010 cycle, and while waiting, I can take the bio lab in Spring 2010.

Which do you think it's a better option? Can I really trust what dental schools told me? Or...should I wait one more year...?

Why not just worry about applying and taking the DAT and then finishing the pre-requisites? Besides, they only need to be finished before you matriculate, not necessarily before you apply...and if you've already got bio 1+2, chem 1+2, and orgo 1+2, you have all the material you need to study for the DAT, so why put it off?

Hello guys,

take your lab after..i just had chem lab and waited until spring semester to take it after being accepted in december. as long as you take it you're fine

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply. Did you have to let them know that you did not have gen chem lab requirement? If you did, how did you let them know?

Thank you for your reply. Did you have to let them know that you did not have gen chem lab requirement? If you did, how did you let them know?

No not at all..didn't come up in interviews either. Once you get in I'm pretty sure you just send in your spring grades so they can make sure you have all the necessary requirements done.

whawha we are in the same situation. I am also doing graduate s. in Chemical Eng. like u r doing right now. However I completed all the prereq. requirements and took DAT. The biggest advice I can give you TAKE BIO class first, then TAKE DAT, if you are not specialized in biochemical engineering.As far as DAT goes, you will not have hard time to prepare except bio-section.
If you are aplying CA schools, you may also need to take biochemistry and psych. classes. Moreover for some other schools you may need to take microbiology and anatomy and physiology and more. Maybe you can skip this cycle and apply for 2011 cycle (by adding EC. activities such as volun. in a dental office, doing some research related to dentistry).Good luck :thumbup:.