Need your help with choosing vet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rasil

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an indian guy so my parents want me to do something big like doctor or some health profession. I need to make decent money to support them later on but i heard vet is super low pay. How much do they earn realistically? I'm well aware of the fact that its impossible to survive medicine when the goal is to live someone else's dream. I've always loved animals especially the exotic ones. Is vet something really something possible on just the notion that i love animals? medicine seems way too isolated and stringent and i feel like i cant do 12 years of school. Well, these are things that have been on my mind and have got me going crazy for the last few weeks. Any help is appreciated. Seriously any thing is fine. - a very anxious unsure unprepared for lifekinda student.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an indian guy so my parents want me to do something big like doctor or some health profession. I need to make decent money to support them later on but i heard vet is super low pay. How much do they earn realistically? I'm well aware of the fact that its impossible to survive medicine when the goal is to live someone else's dream. I've always loved animals especially the exotic ones. Is vet something really something possible on just the notion that i love animals? medicine seems way too isolated and stringent and i feel like i cant do 12 years of school. Well, these are things that have been on my mind and have got me going crazy for the last few weeks. Any help is appreciated. Seriously any thing is fine. - a very anxious unsure unprepared for lifekinda student.

Salary really depends on what you end up doing. The average starting salary for a new graduate practicing in small animal general practice was around $69k a few years ago. If you go through an internship and/or residency, you're looking at at least half of that in most cases. Add in large amounts of debt and your net income isn't going to be pretty for a while, certainly not enough to support yourself, your parents and a potential family of your own. If you're concerned about salary, human medicine is the way to go.

Is it possible to become a veterinarian just on the notion that you love animals? Well sure, anything is possible, but it's very similar to human medical school, not just playing with animals all day. Your best bet is to shadow a few veterinarians and see what you'd be getting yourself into.

Thanks for replying so fast :) yeah I get how meagre the salary could be. Guess my situation might not allow me to do so. I don't hate the idea of medicine but I keep finding ways to not do it so I have no clue what to do . Again I appreciate all your help :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Or you could just tell your over-demanding parents to f off and you can go do something that'll make you happy even if it's not "something big." I know it's a cultural thing, but it's your life.

haha man I wish I could but I owe them too much to do something like that. XD trust me bruh if only it was that easy :p