need your input..please..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calcium

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am Caribbean grad in 2009, wanted to be radiologist in future..haven't taken any usmles yet due to lots of distractions in my house..Now thinking to do MPH( to ehance my resume but wont able to repay loans because its hard to find job),or radiology technician ( enhance experience with patient, in fields, plus I will repay off loans)..Can somebody tell me which one will help in which way esp in getting radiology residency/internship..thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly not sure if either would help much at all. I would do whatever allows you to do as well as possible on the boards. At least being a tech would help pay the bills. You graduated in 2009? Have you done any medical work since then?

Your odds is very very low.

Either go for options other than medicine.

Or take USMLEs and try your best to find a family medicine residency. And even in that case, finding a spot will be very hard.

Frankly, nobody believes that you did not take USMLE for 4-5 years just because of distractions at home. And what is the guarantee that you will not have such distractions when you become a resident?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you just focus on boards and get them done instead of putting more on your plate? What have you been doing since graduation?

Agreed. The best thing you can do is crush USMLE. Work experience is just a little bit of a plus.

If you could find a research project or research assistant position in radiology, that would likely be a plus for your app and allow you to make contacts also. You will likely need a 240+ to be considered. Big bias against FMGs, especially if you took several years off.