Need your insight - switching to dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cuspid-T

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to get some insights from practicing dentists, who may have entered dentistry at an older age and/or have switched to dentistry from another career.

I am 31, and work in public accounting. I have an undergraduate degree in accounting, GPA 3.25, and an MBA, GPA 3.8, and I think I have a total of 195 academic credit hours. I am taking the last part of my CPA exam, and hopefully will become certified by the end of summer. I have been exposed to various aspects of the accounting career, and unfortunately cannot convince myself to like any of them, and I do not see myself doing this for the rest of my life.

When I was completing my MBA program 2 years ago I decided to drop the master’s program, enroll in a post baccalaureate program, take the DAT, and apply to dental schools; however, the pre-health advisor that I met with discouraged me so much, and told me that no dental school will accept me with so many credit hours and a low GPA. As a result, I put my thoughts about dentistry aside, completed my MBA, and continued the accounting career.

After my wife was accepted to a dental school this year I decided to give it another try, and I shadowed and assisted a dentist, applied to a post bacc program at a private university, where my wife is going to dental school, and I have been accepted for the fall 2014 semester.

There are many aspects of dentistry that are attractive to me – to name a few – I am very social and I enjoy meeting and getting to know people; I love service activities, and community service is a big part of my life; I enjoy hands on work – I paint, draw, and I am also object oriented – I design and create woodcrafts; I am highly active, and cannot sit behind a desk all day long, and I like to be challenged at work.

My concerns that I need insights about:

Although my wife and the dentist that I have shadowed encourage me to follow my passion I am still hesitant based on what I was told by the advisor two years ago, my age, and the cost of attending dental school.

1. I am wondering if anyone with similar degrees, GPAs, and credit hours has been accepted to a dental school?

2. If everything goes as planned I will become dentist at age of 37 or 38. My concern is the cost of attending dental school, and I am wondering if I will be able to pay off the student loans that I accrue by the age of 50 so I can save money for retirement if I become a dentist at that age (considering to work either in New York or Washington DC)?

Members don't see this ad.

I know several people in their early 30's who are currently in dental school. One of them is 35 years old. How expensive is the dental school that you are talking about?

Have you tried asking the DentalTown forums? Studentdoctor is populated mostly by students and residents.

If you get into a typical state school and graduate with $150-200,000, you'll be paying around $2,500 a month for a decade. You probably know more about money and investment than most of the dentists and dental students here who only have the business background from reading a couple books.

Last edited: