Need your opinion on work/pay/life balance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crpstudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm doing a research paper for a school project comparing work/life/pay balance and I just wanted to pick your brain with a couple of questions:

1) Hypothetically speaking, if it was possible to practice medicine from home, would you take a pay cut to do it?

2) Would you take a pay cut to work no more than 40 hrs per week?

3) If you could practice medicine from your home office, what would be the minimum hourly amount that you would need (again assuming the big perk is working out of the house)? Would $90 per hour do it for you?

4) On a scale of 1 to 10, how important does working less and being at home with your family become as you get older? I know for women, with kids, etc., this is important earlier on (28-40 yrs old), but for you men, when you hit 45, 50, 55, do you start thinking about cutting back on the hours?

Thanks a lot, I appreciate all responses, I'm a long time lurker here and future doc hopefully.

Members don't see this ad.

1. NO
2. NO
3. NO 40hr/wk @90/hr gives you 187,000/yr if you worked 52 weeks with no vacation. I would not break even on my bills.
4. (1)

I stopped reading after "if it was possible to practice medicine from home."

It's not.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I stopped reading after "if it was possible to practice medicine from home."

It's not.

Hahaha I wish that was common knowledge,
But Google makes everyone think they can self diagnose from the comfort of wherever they please, including their homes

From home, I could be that doctor the insurance company hires to okay prior auths and do peer-to-peers. That's not really practicing medicine exactly. I wonder how well those jobs pay. The few times I've chit-chatted with them they've said it's sort of like being on call, but can't leave home. I've not had the nerve to ask how it pays.

$90 an hour? There are very real Psychiatry moonlighting gigs during residency where one could get paid $100 or more an hour...