Needle Exchange Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

looncat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been volunteering for a needle exchange program for a while but I was convinced by a parent and a friend that since admissions committees tend to be conservative, a needle exchange program may be too controversial so I left it off of my primary. I did mention it in two secondaries though.

My question is, should I mention it in the couple secondaries I have left, or if I don't get in anywhere this cycle should I mention it the next time I apply?

For those of you who don't know, a needle exchange program allows drug users to come in and dispose their used needles and get new needles and other drug paraphernalia; the goal is to reduce harm/spread of diseases since telling people to stop doing drugs doesn't work.

Members don't see this ad.

I wrote about it on my secondaries. I've received several IIs. I think it's more about how you phrase it i.e. I talked about the importance of preventative medicine

Members don't see this ad :)
So I've been volunteering for a needle exchange program for a while but I was convinced by a parent and a friend that since admissions committees tend to be conservative, a needle exchange program may be too controversial so I left it off of my primary. I did mention it in two secondaries though.

My question is, should I mention it in the couple secondaries I have left, or if I don't get in anywhere this cycle should I mention it the next time I apply?

For those of you who don't know, a needle exchange program allows drug users to come in and dispose their used needles and get new needles and other drug paraphernalia; the goal is to reduce harm/spread of diseases since telling people to stop doing drugs doesn't work.

I would write about it. Physicians are all about lowering risks. I think you don't need to worry about the experience being bad for you.

I actually doubt this works any better than telling people to stop using drugs. The needles are clean for a minute and then get swapped.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the replies!

I actually doubt this works any better than telling people to stop using drugs. The needles are clean for a minute and then get swapped.
You're probably right, but the site I work at is open everyday and has a lot of regulars, so I'd say it works better than just having the same needles out for months.

I think it depends on who/where you ask. I know some people who've done it and seem to think it's helpful.

*by done it I mean volunteered at exchange sites.

"done it" could refer to multiple things in this situation. Thanks for clarifying your post.

There actually is (was?) an experimental opioid "clinic" in Canada. People could come in, shoot up in a controlled environment, with a clean needle, where they were watched and given Narcan if needed. They also had access to resources if they wanted to try to get clean. Dropped the OD rate by quite a bit.

That may be controversial in 2014. Needle exchange programs are not.

Needle exchange programs are an accepted form of harm reduction for IV drug users. Go ahead and write about it, OP. Just be prepared to discuss the goals of such programs.

Reactions: 1 users