Negative grade trend: where to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tarheel616

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year I transferred from a state university to another state university ranked in the top 5 of public institutions in the US.

My GPA from my first college was around a 3.8 overall and science. This last year at my new college I have a 3.4 overall GPA with my science just above a 3.2 (B+'s in Physics I/II, Orgo I and a B in Orgo II).

This semester I am in two upper level sciences classes, but I am considering dropping one due to a low test grade, which would put me at 12 credits.

Would dropping to 12 credits and having a 'negative' grade trend hurt my application for next year? I assume it would, but I wasn't sure if going to a much better institution would be factored in at all.

Overall if my calculations are correct my cumulative GPA would be a 3.6 and a 3.4ish science.
In addition I have 150 shadowing hours, 300 community service hours, and multiple leadership positions

I plan applying to:
Creighton
Minnesota
Marquette
Midwestern-IL
Indiana
Michigan
Detroit Mercy
Case Western
Kentucky
Louisville
UNC
UNE
Roseman
LECOM

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

12 credits is still full time. what's the problem?

Won't taking only one science course affect my chances?

Last edited:
first you're worried about 12 credit hours...now you're worried about the composition of your semester? there are over a dozen non-science, non-engineering majors in my class who took only the pre-reqs (meaning some had entire academic years without a science course) and they got in just fine.

just get good grades.