Negotiating financial aid procedure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mik30102

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have just found out that I will be receiving a very generous scholarship to Hofstra (about 64%). However I am also holding a acceptance at Pitt. Without question the financial difference is not worth my preference at Pitt. My questions are as follows: Would it be likely for Pitt to perhaps be open to matching or at least coming close to matching this offer as they are not similarly ranked schools? Pitt's financial aid won't come out until mid April so should I alert them to this prior? If so how should I phrase this? Thanks everyone for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all, I have just found out that I will be receiving a very generous scholarship to Hofstra (about 64%). However I am also holding a acceptance at Pitt. Without question the financial difference is not worth my preference at Pitt. My questions are as follows: Would it be likely for Pitt to perhaps be open to matching or at least coming close to matching this offer as they are not similarly ranked schools? Pitt's financial aid won't come out until mid April so should I alert them to this prior? If so how should I phrase this? Thanks everyone for the help!
Just tell them. The worst that happens is they say no.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Let us know how it goes, so we can learn about it! Good luck, I hope it works out!

Reactions: 1 user
@gyngyn

Have you ever heard of schools matching aid (or giving lots of aid) in the first year but not thereafter (assuming everything stays the same)?

After all, once you matriculate, you lose all leverage in terms of FA. Thus, conceivably, a school could just give out a ton of aid in the first year and then very little thereafter. The students would be stuck in this situation.

@gyngyn

Have you ever heard of schools matching aid (or giving lots of aid) in the first year but not thereafter (assuming everything stays the same)?

After all, once you matriculate, you lose all leverage in terms of FA. Thus, conceivably, a school could just give out a ton of aid in the first year and then very little thereafter. The students would be stuck in this situation.
I have heard of every possible permutation! Generally speaking though, schools want to reduce graduation debt and also want to reward their best students.

just curious, how did you find out about your financial aid award from Hofstra? By mail or e-mail?

just curious, how did you find out about your financial aid award from Hofstra? By mail or e-mail?

I asked for what to expect during second look today and after looking me up they gave me a ballpark figure (has not been finalized yet). They will be released though on wednesday.

I asked for what to expect during second look today and after looking me up they gave me a ballpark figure (has not been finalized yet). They will be released though on wednesday.
this is actually the only reason I want to go to my second look day, I feel as if the 'negotiation' will be more personal if face to face? Maybe if I run into my interviewer (who loved me at interview day) he might help?

Any thoughts on that? Im just hesitant because I will be missing work for the third time that week, dont know if it is worth it

this is actually the only reason I want to go to my second look day, I feel as if the 'negotiation' will be more personal if face to face? Maybe if I run into my interviewer (who loved me at interview day) he might help?

Any thoughts on that? Im just hesitant because I will be missing work for the third time that week, dont know if it is worth it

Just e-mail them. I wouldn't go to a second look strictly for this purpose. That said, I do think attending a second look "documents" your sincerity in going to the school. I have no idea if that would be considered, but I would think it would. After all, there are limited funds to offer to prospective students.

So, how'd it go? Also - did Hofstra guarantee you that scholarship for all 4 years??

lol did you just search for Hofstra and decide to necro every thread you found