Nervous about going to college. Advice?

Celia Saumell

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you going to be living in the dorms? If you are, just try to become friends with your hall mates. There will be a lot of first week activities within dorms that try to help people bond with each other. Don't be afraid to attend those. Also go in with an open mindset. Try to have fun and find some people with similar hobbies and interests as you.

Reactions: 1 user
Just remember this... If friends or people you room with ask you if you want to go hangout with them, don't turn them down just because you want to be yourself. I have done that before but quickly realized that I never regretted actually going out with them and being teenagers. Of course if they are doing "bad" things, you don't have to join them but in my case we would just find "good" ways to have fun so idk about all that. But yeah just be yourself, don't judge people and don't be scared to try new things (hanging out with people you don't know).

If you live on campus, I'm sure you'll become a people person sooner or later. They have so many different group activities and things nowadays that its virtually impossible to be bored/alone. GL

Members don't see this ad :)
The first and hardest step would be to see the so called issue. You're already over that mountain. You're working towards your goals, the "solution" will come as you go. I put that in quotations because you probably don't come across the way you feel like you do to other people. From your post, I can tell you're determined. That's over half the battle, your mindset. If you go to class and put an effort into it, you'll be an A student. Don't study the night before an exam, go over material everyday even if it's just for a little while. I went from being homeschooled (loved it personally), never in a class room to being in a college class of 40 people I didn't know. Now I'm in the honors program and a senior. Was it hard? Yes, I believed I couldn't do it. I remember dreaming of being shy and nervous the week before school started. The biggest thing I learned is, professors can tell if you put effort in their class. You don't have to say anything or be anyone other than you. In fact, you want to be yourself. That's who you are most comfortable with being. The rest will follow, give yourself some time and a chance! You'll be surprised, trust me.

Try reading The Naked Roommate by Harlan Cohen. I was nervous last year just like you, and the book really put me at ease. He gives good tips for making friends, living away from home, keeping up with your studies, etc. Ultimately, college is infinitely times better than high school because everyone is so much more mature, and professors actually treat you like an independent adult. I'm sure you'll meet like-minded people soon enough! Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and make friends with people you normally wouldn't--those people might be become your best friends through college and beyond!

Its good that you're going to join clubs related to your major; however, try to be a part of clubs that aren't necessarily related to your major. The more clubs/activities you join, the more comfortable you will feel during the first year of college as we all know how scary it can feel....

Its good that you're going to join clubs related to your major; however, try to be a part of clubs that aren't necessarily related to your major. The more clubs/activities you join, the more comfortable you will feel during the first year of college as we all know how scary it can feel....

That's a good idea too. I guess a lot of people do feel scared their first year of college. Glad I'm not alone :p thanks

Hey, everyone. I made this account and forum post from any advice from someone who might have gone through the same thing.

Well, I'm nervous about going to college this summer because I'm awkward around other people. I mean, I just went to a two-night, two-day Orientation and did not make any friends. I feel, also, that when I get there I will be scared to become closer to my professors, talk to anyone in order to enhance or further my chances into getting into med school, or just making friends altogether. Maybe it's a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy that I'll end up like this since I have the expectation of me being this way, but I feel like this has stopped me from many things I wish I could have done already.

I want to go to med school being a well-rounded individual or I think it's "I have to be this type of person to get in." I just have no idea how to accomplish this with the way I'm being right now and it's not so simple for me to just grow the courage and a right mentality from the very little positiveness.

Thank you

Hey bud.

I walked in your shoes and here's how I made it.

1) Go to college.. You'll be in a new environment, so will everyone else. You'll make new friends, not a problem.

2) Work on your social anxiety. This is a common issue with over-achievers. There are programs you can read about, PM me if you need advice. To sum it up, though, you just have to go through enough interactions as yourself in a random circumstance until you feel comfortable in your own skin.

3) Medical school will come. Or it won't. Don't focus on that for now. Focus on learning everything you can from your courses. Do as well as you can. Even if you don't have a 4.0 (or 3.0 for that matter) it is not the end of the world. It will just be a lot more work.

Enjoy your life.