Nervous about starting Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuizzicalNM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is somewhat stupid, but here goes. After what is my third try, I got accepted to a nice Osteopathic Medical School, a few hour drive from my house. Really, it has been a very difficult road, filled with obstacles, one after another. Everything was fine, till like yesterday, when I realized, I had only a month left before joining medical School. Now I am a nervous wreck X 10, thinking about residency, internships, Board exams, fees, doing OMT, you name it and I am worried about it.

I am sure some if not all of you, must have had some qualms before you started your first year, what did you do and what would you recommend? Is it normal to feel this nervousness?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Chill out. The actual hardest part is getting in.

Read "house of god" to keep your mind busy til it starts

Reactions: 1 users
I think most, if not everyone, are nervous before starting medical school. I was too, took me two tries to get accepted. I know it's easier said than done, but take a deep breath and relax. Take it one step at a time, put in the time and effort, and you'll be fine.

As Yankee said, the hardest part about medical school really is getting accepted.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is somewhat stupid, but here goes. After what is my third try, I got accepted to a nice Osteopathic Medical School, a few hour drive from my house. Really, it has been a very difficult road, filled with obstacles, one after another. Everything was fine, till like yesterday, when I realized, I had only a month left before joining medical School. Now I am a nervous wreck X 10, thinking about residency, internships, Board exams, fees, doing OMT, you name it and I am worried about it.

I am sure some if not all of you, must have had some qualms before you started your first year, what did you do and what would you recommend? Is it normal to feel this nervousness?

I am totally feeling your anxiety. I am a non trad leaving a job after 21 years to chase a dream. But anxiety is also a good thing. Take that anxiety and nervousness and turn it into something that you can use to study harder and work harder for your dream of becoming a physician. In the mean time do the things that make you happy and enjoy the short time left you have to be unfettered to the world of study. I am spending the last weeks with the kids and a little trip with the wifey without kids.

Reactions: 4 users
Take that anxiety and nervousness and turn it into something that you can use to study harder and work harder for your dream of becoming a physician.

This. Some nervousness is good, too much is bad, so funnel it in a good way to prevent it from becoming too much. It's the people with too much confidence that get screwed and kill patients. Just keep reminding yourself that you got through the hardest part. Now it's in the school's best interest to get you through to a residency. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

First-- nervousness is "normal", anxiety is not-- I have personal experience in telling the difference. If you're feeling the latter, you're not the only one, but talk to someone about it before it gets out of hand.

Those are all normal things to worry about, and of course it's overwhelming to think about them all at once. For now, break it down and worry about things one step at a time. Right now, worry about moving. When you get to school, worry about anatomy and OMT. Next year, worry about board exams and fees. Third year, worry about rotations. Fourth year, worry about internship and residency. Don't rush the process and make it harder on yourself!

Reactions: 6 users
This is a recipe for not matching well or at all. Shift everything back by 12-18 months and you've got a plan.

Yeah-- in my head OP was starting next year, not in a few months. Whoops.

But anyway-- planning ahead is good, worrying-ahead doesn't get you anywhere.

I'm very nervous. This new curriculum at the school I'm about to attend seems to be notoriously difficult. I still can't imagine doing an accelerated 1-1.5 year curriculum like at Vandy or Yale though.

I am entering medical school this Summer. Very nervous. Did some med school classes through a special masters program (same lectures, same exams, alongside the medical students). It kicked my *** and it wasn't even close to the workload of med school. I am ready to give it my all and study 7am to 11pm every day, but I'm worried it won't be enough.

I am entering medical school this Summer. Very nervous. Did some med school classes through a special masters program (same lectures, same exams, alongside the medical students). It kicked my *** and it wasn't even close to the workload of med school. I am ready to give it my all and study 7am to 11pm every day, but I'm worried it won't be enough.

You wont be studying from 7-11. That is absurd. Be prepared to be overwhelmed, but once you figure it out, its just like any other ninetofive that everyone does after college. It's definitely tough, but getting accepted is the worst part.

All new endeavors are fraught with anxiety. You'll be fine.

Reactions: 6 users
Now I am a nervous wreck X 10, thinking about residency, internships, Board exams, fees, doing OMT, you name it and I am worried about it.

To paraphrase: Don't borrow troubles from tomorrow, today has enough of their own. I was the same way before I started. One of our faculty put it like this:" Your job as an OMS-1, is to make it to OMS-2, Your job as an OMS-2 is to do well on COMLEX/USMLE and make it to OMS-3, OMS-3, do well on rounds and make it to OMS-4, Finally, get into a good residency." It made perfect sense to me, and I'm normally a chronic long-range planner.

Medical school would be a lot more interesting if it was like boot camp or the service academies. You show up, people scream at you, then they shave your head.

I felt like I was back in Basic Training most of my 1st year. Make sure you're in the proper uniform of the day, be in the classroom 15 minutes prior, etc.

You could give a speech to the first years like Clint Eastwood in "Heartbreak Ridge": "My name is OMS-4 CajunMedic. I've drawn more blood, guac'd more stool, done more H&P's, and performed more chest compressions than all of you wannabe gunners put together. You think you can slip and slide in here because you made an A in Organic Chemistry..."

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am totally feeling your anxiety. I am a non trad leaving a job after 21 years to chase a dream. But anxiety is also a good thing. Take that anxiety and nervousness and turn it into something that you can use to study harder and work harder for your dream of becoming a physician. In the mean time do the things that make you happy and enjoy the short time left you have to be unfettered to the world of study. I am spending the last weeks with the kids and a little trip with the wifey without kids.

Welcome to the club -- non-trad also -- BTDT -- you'll live -- as I've said in other posts, make up your mind that you're either going to graduate, get thrown out or die but that you WILL not quit -- you'll make -- it doesn't go to the smartest or the best prepared but to the one's who want it bad enough.....

At least you guys have a month, I start in less than 2 weeks. I'm also nervous but I am also very excited the same time.

It's definitely normal! I was so nervous that I bought a book "How to study in medical school" which is pretty out of character. Rest assured that at any given time there are 100,000 other people in the US going through the same exact thing (med school that is), and each year tens of thousands of new doctors graduate. Getting in is tough, and medical schools rarely make admissions mistakes - you're there because you can handle it. You'll be surprised at the diversity of students, ranging from second or third career non-traditional students to straight-track premeds who've known they wanted to go into medicine for as long as they can remember. The key to your success in med school is to be disciplined and open-minded about adopting new ways to study. The traditional note-taking/highlighting model is a bit inefficient and contributes to cram-forget cycles. There's a lot of good research on ways to focus your studies and ensure that you retain the right amount of info to do well in class, on the boards, and on the wards. I'm happy to send some of this your way - please feel free to contact me about this.

You will not be alone, everyone is nervous when starting a major endeavor. I think you will find many of your classmates are in the same boat.

I was accepted to a DO school and will start in July! I've been feeling nervous for these past few months too, you're not alone! Everything you mentioned, LITERALLY everything you mentioned I am also worried about. It's natural. It's part of our instinct to always want to be ready for what's to come. I'm trying my best to enjoy my time before school.

It's definitely normal! I was so nervous that I bought a book "How to study in medical school" which is pretty out of character. Rest assured that at any given time there are 100,000 other people in the US going through the same exact thing (med school that is), and each year tens of thousands of new doctors graduate. Getting in is tough, and medical schools rarely make admissions mistakes - you're there because you can handle it. You'll be surprised at the diversity of students, ranging from second or third career non-traditional students to straight-track premeds who've known they wanted to go into medicine for as long as they can remember. The key to your success in med school is to be disciplined and open-minded about adopting new ways to study. The traditional note-taking/highlighting model is a bit inefficient and contributes to cram-forget cycles. There's a lot of good research on ways to focus your studies and ensure that you retain the right amount of info to do well in class, on the boards, and on the wards. I'm happy to send some of this your way - please feel free to contact me about this.

Would you please send some my way, that would be awesome! I did great in undergrad, but like most people I would forget most of the info after the exam! I would love some info on different study methods if you have some time!

What a totally unbiased, genuine offer. Im sure that this advice you are handing out itsnt a conflict of interest at all.

Would you please send some my way, that would be awesome! I did great in undergrad, but like most people I would forget most of the info after the exam! I would love some info on different study methods if you have some time!

If osmosis were a good product, the co-founder wouldnt have to try and sell it to you. Students would be telling you about it. You definitely should not be using a product that makes it's money by preying on students who are nervous about starting.

Last edited:

There was a great book on this subject published recently called "Make it Stick: The Science of Successful Learning." It's worth a read or skim-through if you have time (http://makeitstick.net/). One of the co-authors has published extensively about the cognitive effects of formative assessment; here's a New York Times article about this: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/20/opinion/sunday/how-tests-make-us-smarter.html?_r=0.

Another widely used technique is spaced repetition, as was recently highlighted in this KevinMD post earlier this month: http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2015/06/want-to-enhance-medical-education-use-spaced-repetition.html. The authors of that are current/former Duke med students who wrote a book, "Learning Medicine: An Evidence Based Guide" (http://www.learningmedicinebook.com/). This summarizes a lot of the literature out there about how to learn medicine most effectively.

I also enjoyed Joshua Foerr's book, Moonwalking with Einstein, that goes into details about memory associations, e.g. the "Baker-baker" paradox. I've written about this technique for medical education, and it's also described in this article: http://almost.thedoctorschannel.com/the-memory-trick-every-med-student-should-know/.

Hope that helps.

P.S. Sorry @YankeeCandle, I'm not preying on anyone. Please feel free to engage with me directly to get informed and overcome preconceived notions. Thanks!

Reactions: 3 users
There was a great book on this subject published recently called "Make it Stick: The Science of Successful Learning." It's worth a read or skim-through if you have time (http://makeitstick.net/). One of the co-authors has published extensively about the cognitive effects of formative assessment; here's a New York Times article about this: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/20/opinion/sunday/how-tests-make-us-smarter.html?_r=0.

Another widely used technique is spaced repetition, as was recently highlighted in this KevinMD post earlier this month: http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2015/06/want-to-enhance-medical-education-use-spaced-repetition.html. The authors of that are current/former Duke med students who wrote a book, "Learning Medicine: An Evidence Based Guide" (http://www.learningmedicinebook.com/). This summarizes a lot of the literature out there about how to learn medicine most effectively.

I also enjoyed Joshua Foerr's book, Moonwalking with Einstein, that goes into details about memory associations, e.g. the "Baker-baker" paradox. I've written about this technique for medical education, and it's also described in this article: http://almost.thedoctorschannel.com/the-memory-trick-every-med-student-should-know/.

Hope that helps.

P.S. Sorry @YankeeCandle, I'm not preying on anyone. Please feel free to engage with me directly to get informed and overcome preconceived notions. Thanks!

I have no problem engaging you directly.

Your product is a joke, the UI is garbage, and you are a tool for pushing it on scared pre-meds. Its adorable that you are pretending thats not what you just tried to do...just like how you hire "ambassadors" to casually sell your awful app on class facebook pages.

"Hey have you guys heard of this cool hip new app called osmosis?! Its free* and it helps break your cram/forget cycle!"

*except for the part where you pay money

I don't need to defend Osmosis to you since you clearly have not tried it recently (yes, you can use it for free; thousands of students are - get informed). I'm a premedical advisor at Harvard College and medical student at Johns Hopkins, so make of that what you will in terms of my qualifications to advise nervous premeds. Just trying to be transparent hence the user name so I don't do what others do and pretend to be just another med student or premed student while surreptitiously hawking a product (or disparaging competing products, which is what you may be doing for all we know). I've already engaged directly with SDN admins about balancing these roles.

Regarding advice, your initial comment "chill out, the hardest part is getting in" is dead wrong. I'm not sure what medical school you go to. Big difference between trying to puff up your resume to get into any med school and actually succeeding as a medical student, where what you know and how well you can apply it can make a real impact on someone's life.

Now please do some research before trolling.

OP.... This dude just read the title of your post and thought "easy sale!". You are going to spend a ridiculous amount of money on your medical education, and the product he is trying to sell you is a raindrop in the ocean. Its not the end of the world if you bought it. Just realize that there are better, established companies that dont troll online forums to make a buck.

What just happened:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt

I don't need to defend Osmosis to you since you clearly have not tried it recently (yes, you can use it for free; thousands of students are - get informed). I'm a premedical advisor at Harvard College and medical student at Johns Hopkins, so make of that what you will in terms of my qualifications to advise nervous premeds. Just trying to be transparent hence the user name so I don't do what others do and pretend to be just another med student or premed student while surreptitiously hawking a product (or disparaging competing products, which is what you may be doing for all we know). I've already engaged directly with SDN admins about balancing these roles.

Regarding advice, your initial comment "chill out, the hardest part is getting in" is dead wrong. I'm not sure what medical school you go to. Big difference between trying to puff up your resume to get into any med school and actually succeeding as a medical student, where what you know and how well you can apply it can make a real impact on someone's life.

Now please do some research before trolling.

Thats a lot of words. Do you want to address the fact that you clearly just tried to sell your trash to someone?

Edit: you have been an SDN member for less than 48 hours and you already have probationary status....so cool "balance"

Last edited:
BTW...the first thing that every scam artist does when they get caught: ignore the accusations, throw your credentials in everyones face

It's been a real pleasure engaging with you YankeeCandle. I decline any further opportunity to do so. The way you meet rational dialogue with accusations and ignore counter-evidence, such as my other messages in other forums having nothing to do with studying, speaks for itself. I hope you apply more reasoning skills when you see your patients.

It's been a real pleasure engaging with you YankeeCandle. I decline any further opportunity to do so. The way you meet rational dialogue with accusations and ignore counter-evidence, such as my other messages in other forums having nothing to do with studying, speaks for itself. I hope you apply more reasoning skills when you see your patients.

Lol...what rational dialogue? You are dodging every post like a frightened scam artist who just got called out on a public forum

Yankee and I don't get along, but I have to agree with him on this. There is a separated forum for advertising products. If Osmosis is any good, students will spread it by mouth to mouth like UFAP. Creators don't need to go on SDN or Reddit to publicize it.

Please get the discussion back on topic and stop with the personal attacks and back-and-forth. Thanks.

OP I too am quite nervous. I can't help shake the idea that I'm not going to be able to cut it academically. Our class is introducing themselves in our email group, and everyday I feel like I see another Ivy Leaguer, PhD holder, etc etc. I feel like I'm just not up to par with any of them...

Who cares where they went to school? Don't let it become a distraction. Focus on your own performance, pay no attention to others, and you will succeed.

You should be nervous. You will feel anxious until a few exams go by, when you can then figure out what is important and what parts of your studying style are working/not working. There is a lot on the line (your career and god awful amounts of loan money) so the nervous/anxiety is kind of warranted. It will subside for the most part when you get a rhythm, but it will still lurk and become your driving force to push through when you start to get tired/lazy. But no matter how you look at it, always remember there are people in the school that are there to (paid to) help you through your struggles. It is a rocky, steep road but it is very achievable. Use your head and seek assistance early if you feel like you are going backwards. As they say, if it were easy then everyone would do it.

Don't worry, it will only get worse with time

I felt this the last 2 weeks since school start , all I can say is if you do something that makes you happy every day it was give you something to look forward to motivation. For me it was going to the gym

Now I am a nervous wreck X 10, thinking about residency, internships, Board exams, fees, doing OMT, you name it and I am worried about it.

For anyone reading, enjoy the rest of your summer. My personal recommendation is to give your first set of exams your 100% so that you can modulate your effort, time spent, study style, etc accordingly.

I only finished one year so I can't pretend to have a lot of wisdom on the subject, but a positive attitude helps a lot. I'm not talking about an "I can do this" attitude, but "I'm mostly interested in this material". That sort of carried me "effortlessly" through my year. Yes I spent an inordinate amount of time, but it wasn't really the same kind of struggle I felt with premed classes.

I mention the attitude thing because you're going to have a lot of classmates who will be negative about things, maybe because that's just how they process the stress. Things like "this prof sucks and none of this is board relevant", "this unit is useless", "let me post on Facebook asking for prayers/post a photo of the First Aid book, an atlas, a notebook with many highlighters, and coffee positioned just so", etc will be all over the place. So it's up to you to probably sometimes agree, but then ultimately decide when studying to put that behind you.

I'm very nervous. This new curriculum at the school I'm about to attend seems to be notoriously difficult. I still can't imagine doing an accelerated 1-1.5 year curriculum like at Vandy or Yale though.

What is the curriculum if you don't mind me asking?

What is the curriculum if you don't mind me asking?

Systems based but go over all systems twice. 1st year normal function, second year path and pharm.

I think the difficult part is adding the CS and PCM exams as well as the "Grand Rounds" we have to do which is to present a case in front of guest clinicians and scientists.

So micro, histology, embryology are still mixed in? Seems like the only difference from a traditional curriculum. Unless you mean you don't have anatomy and biochem in your first semester? Unsure what CS and PCM is, but I can assume the first is clinical skills. I feel like that won't be something you need to be afraid of. "Ground Rounds" sounds like a sweet way to snag research though, I'd love that.

Am I the only one that isn't nervous about the academic workload and rather meeting new people / moving to a new place ? No one should be worried about the workload. You got in, you'll be able to handle it

So, who all here is into some indie or vaporwave?

So micro, histology, embryology are still mixed in? Seems like the only difference from a traditional curriculum. Unless you mean you don't have anatomy and biochem in your first semester? Unsure what CS and PCM is, but I can assume the first is clinical skills. I feel like that won't be something you need to be afraid of. "Ground Rounds" sounds like a sweet way to snag research though, I'd love that.

Each school has a varying curriculum, its the amount of exams and the required reading (that is fair game for test) that can cause it to be more difficult.

Anatomy begins after a few weeks, biochem us our first course followed with immuno.

Grand rounds doesn't result in research that you would pad your CV with from what I recall, you research a required case and present it to the class/faculty.

All in all KCU had a revamp of their curriculum last year by Dean Dubin who was at TCOM/RVUCOM. His implementation of this rigorous curriculum brought these schools board scores to the very top compared to other DO programs.

Grand rounds doesn't result in research that you would pad your CV with from what I recall, you research a required case and present it to the class/faculty.

I figured, but it'll be a fairly easy way to impress people who could throw you some cases or retrospective research.

One thing at a time rookie! And that's the motto you need to keep throughout this entire process. Yeah, you plan and prioritize, but it's still one thing at time. That said, here is some basic advice:

1. Health comes first... yeah even before your grades. Don't go flushing life down the drain for some garbage exam you won't even remember a year from now. Sleep 6-8hrs a night (regardless of what the zombied-eye nerd-herders are spewing), eat well, and EXERCISE regularly. In the long runs, your grades will benefit from this as well. So start the routine early.

2. Don't let the neuroticism that stews in the lecture hall seep into your system. Stay cool. It's only school. Seriously. If you put in your time daily and focus on the right stuff, you'll learn your $#!+ and you'll sleep at night like a baby. For these kids who don't know anything but graduating college, working a summer job or workstudy here and there and then jumping straight to med school, most haven't tasted how nasty the real world can be. Remember what's it like to struggle and that you are where you WANT to be. When it starts getting gnarly... remember that you're doing what you want and the fight is as much a part of it as is the end goal. Smile when the $#!+ hits the fan because this is what will separate you from the pack and most importantly, allow you to continue to grow.

3. Minutia... don't go losing sleep on this. Focus big... then work your way down to the nitty gritty. (This is where you're friends Pathoma, Qbanks, and FA come into play. And I don't give a rat's rear what the naysayers think, this trifecta should become a part of your life once anatomy is wrapped up or whenever it is you start core/systems. Don't let them be your main source, but they should be involved in the game as much as possible as realistically early as possible, mostly so you can really snuggle up and get to the know them well. You'll be thankful you did come May of your 2nd year).

4. And this is the best advice a physician friend of mine gave me: "It's a marathon, not a sprint." Sure there will be times when you need to kick it up, but leave gas in the tank. It's a long haul. If you want to get through this, remember that. I've seen kids sprint the last 3+ years and man... have those little ones aged. Some of them really look like crap. Older, beaten up a bit. I feel the anti-McConnauhhay "They keep getting older, and I stay the same age..." All joking aside, don't let this journey age you TOO much. The real stuff doesn't even start until after they call you doctor, so don't go busting the juice before the real fun even begins.

Alright, that's enough of my mind candy for now. I wish you the best of luck. Go get em!

Chill out. The actual hardest part is getting in.

Read "house of god" to keep your mind busy til it starts
But "House of God" is so much cooler once you start really seeing the way it is on rotations! Either way, great book!

But "House of God" is so much cooler once you start really seeing the way it is on rotations! Either way, great book!

My favorite part of the book is how fake it sounds until rotations start