Nervous as Graduation Draws Near

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medickdb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

Lately I've been getting really stressed when thinking about my sciGPA for osteopathic schools. Currently, my cGPA stands at a 3.47; sciGPA is a 3.23. I know the cGPA is about average, but the sciGPA is certainly lower. My fear is that my sciGPA will be a major hindrance when applying, and I really don't want to do a SMP. But, my situation leading to this point certainly was not a typical one. I know I posted a similar thread a couple months ago, but I keep dwelling on my sciGPA.

My academic story begins in high school where while in my senior year I attended the local community college at night, gaining certification as an EMT-Basic (7 credits - 4.0). Also during my senior year, I attended the Howard Hughes Medical Institute - Holiday Lecture on Science. During summers, I worked as a lifeguard, then I went on to become a certified American Red Cross Lifeguarding/CPR/First Aid instructor for three years.

After high school, I attended Virginia Tech. Admittedly, I had difficulties in my first semester, and it was not quite typical of most freshmen. I was in the Corps of Cadets, a 24/7 ROTC program akin to that of West Point. Needless to say, I decided that the program wasn't for me, and I left for the civilian side of campus. The following semester would only make matters worse as the events of April 16th affected me deeply, taking from me a close friend. From that point on, the school never seemed the same, and my grades took a downward trend.

I stayed at Virginia Tech for another year and a half after that dreadful semester, finally leaving with a disconcerting overall GPA of 2.73. The semester I left... my GPA was a 2.09. First semester freshman year I got a C in General Bio and my final semester there I got a C- in Animal Physiology. These two classes really affected my sciGPA. While I could always retake General Bio, retaking Animal Physiology would be difficult as it's a more unique course offering.

Anyway... From there, I continued my EMS education and took other college courses closer to home. I graduated with an A.A.S. degree in EMS and became certified as an EMT-Paramedic. I also obtained many supplementary certifications such as ACLS, PALS, and ITLS. My GPA for the EMS program was a 4.0 with a 3.887 overall.

I have been working at a Level 1 Trauma Center for the past year and a half while finishing my degree in biology at a four year institution (projected finish May 2012). Every class I have felt the need to retake, I have earned an A in at my new school (i.e. cell bio, ecology). When I graduate, I will have around 180 credits from all schools attended. I have had received an A in all of my nonscience classes since leaving VT, and my science classes since leaving would average out to around a 3.6. So, there has been a definite upward trend overall and in science classes.

I plan take the MCAT around January 2013. My volunteer experience consists of running EMS (approx. 4 years), providing summer EMS coverage for the National Park Service, and teaching English to international students for one semester. I know I need to add more non-medical ECs to my application and plan to do so after I graduate. While I could have applied this year, I wanted to take my time to get my application together and to study for the MCAT. My plan is to apply as soon as the gate opens.

Right now, my ideal school would be Nova Southeastern. I have a friend in the PsyD program there, and she loves it. I plan on visiting her in the near future to see the school for myself rather than just researching online. I'm learning about other schools as well such as LECOM-B, VCOM-CC, and several West coast schools.

I appreciate any thoughts and/or guidance anyone has to share. Thank you. I wish you all luck in your pursuits of knowledge toward the betterment of mankind

Members don't see this ad.

Dude..I don't want to read a summary of your pre-med journey.

Just list your cGPA, sGPA, MCAT, and brief description of your EC's and you will definitely get way more responses that will help you.

Dude..I don't want to read a summary of your pre-med journey.

Just list your cGPA, sGPA, MCAT, and brief description of your EC's and you will definitely get way more responses that will help you.

+1 lol. You aren't even applying this cycle. Take some easy bio classes over the next year and boost your sGPA, which is probably high enough already anyway. Then do moderately well on the MCAT and you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually read everything that you wrote, and I wanted to say that I am sorry for your loss.

You are a rather unique applicant with a lot of real-life personal and medical experience. You will have a lot to tell, and if you can convey most aspects of this on your applications and interviews, it will show enormous personal growth and mental fortitude.

Your GPA's are certainly not horrible for osteopathic schools, so honestly, don't worry about that. This forum is probably making you neurotic. Everything is great except your MCAT. If you actually want to be taken seriously, and have people hear what you have to say, get a good MCAT score. Being a paramedic, taking so many classes over and over again should easily put you in the 30's range if you work for it. Who knows, maybe if you kick total butt, you'll have 35+ and will actually make an allopathic school somewhere! So even that is within potential reach.

You are definitely not out of the game. Just stop thinking negatively and focus on the MCAT. That is all you can do at this point.

NSU DO is great! If you can get around a 26-28, you would be good for an interview at least,

Thank you for taking the time to read what I wrote and reflecting on my grades as well as my situation. I truly do appreciate it. While I understand why schools put a lot of weight into scores such as GPA and the MCAT, there is much more to admission decisions than people realize. Scores are important in that they reflect that the applicant is determined and capable of learning. I think it's a combination of this forum, the impending graduation, and the seeming sterility of the process that are making me neurotic.

I plan on working hard for the MCAT. I've given myself the time to do just that.

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to read what I wrote and reflecting on my grades as well as my situation. I truly do appreciate it. While I understand why schools put a lot of weight into scores such as GPA and the MCAT, there is much more to admission decisions than people realize. Scores are important in that they reflect that the applicant is capable of learning. I think it's a combination of this forum, the impending graduation, and the seeming sterility of the process that are making me neurotic.

I plan on working hard for the MCAT. I've given myself the time to do just that.

:thumbup: You should be thrilled about graduation! A giant milestone in your life is almost complete. Don't be worried about the "impending" graduation either. You are graduating with pretty much a 3.5 cGPA! And a not so terrible B+ average 3.3 GPA. Worst comes to worst, there are always Master degree programs, and SMPs. Be happy and people will be drawn to you. Good luck man:luck: