Networking after 1st year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brodo Swaggins

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to network after first year? If so how did you got about doing so? I'm not really sure what type of residency I want to pursue yet but is it a good idea to contact different physicians that are a part of an interesting residency and try to shadow them?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It may depend on the residencies you call. The one I'm shadowing at next month had a page for med students and encouraged shadowing for 1st and 2nd years. I dropped the contact person an email and got everything set up that way. Check a few of the websites out for ones you may be remotely interested in and see if they say anything. You may just need to email them.

It may depend on the residencies you call. The one I'm shadowing at next month had a page for med students and encouraged shadowing for 1st and 2nd years. I dropped the contact person an email and got everything set up that way. Check a few of the websites out for ones you may be remotely interested in and see if they say anything. You may just need to email them.

Cool, I'll have to look into that. I didn't know it could be that easy.

There are a lot of great ways to network during medical school, and especially over summers. Not all of them involve traveling. For example, we have a team of "Student Innovators in Medical Education" (www.osmosis.org/sime) who are interviewing deans, program directors, editors, and many other "Leaders in Medical Education" as part of our blog series (blog.osmosis.org). This helps the broad community of students get to know leaders in their field while also helping the individual student who did the interview publish something in a recognized forum. I'm happy to offer tips on ways to network if you'd like - feel free to DM me.
Are you gonna spam every thread?

It is spam. It probably is a rip off. And no one wants to see it.

Reactions: 1 users
My apologies. I'm trying to be helpful while also being transparent about my background and qualifications to comment on medical and premedical forums (e.g. being a premedical advisor at Harvard College and current medical student at Johns Hopkins). I hope that's preferable to the fake accounts that others set up with the express interest in promoting their products. In the case above I was simply suggesting to the thread originator that there are ways to network effectively online. Did not meant to offend anyone.

Dude. Your username in itself is spam. You're like spam-ception.

"spam-ception" haha.

I've contacted SDN admins to ask about what I can do to separate my forum account (through which I hope to continue providing helpful advice based on my experiences as a premedical advisor and med student) from the potential conflict-of-interest parts of my account. Osmosis will be supporting SDN, so I am totally fine with that being the main venue for the latter. As someone new to SDN I didn't realize how sensitive the community is to anything that could be interpreted as spam. Again, apologies, and thanks for pointing it out.