Networking for residency.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tri4thlete

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey team,

If anyone knows of a recent thread, send it my way, I was unable to find one and I want to get opinions from you awesome people rather than from Google.

So I'm attending a medical school outside of Minnesota, but I grew up in MN and would like to return for residency (particularly Mayo Clinic). For you network pros, what are some things I can do to try and get my foot in the door for a future residency position? Should I try and conduct research there? Should I email anybody in particular? Is there another good way of getting my name out there? Do I focus on school/boards and then wait until I can do rotations there 4th year? Expertise is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Let's make this the thread where we network. Attention all program directors, I would just LOVE to attend your program.

Reactions: 1 users
I mean, you have your eyes set on Mayo Clinic. It's an amazing program. Do an away rotation there. Try to shadow docs on your breaks there. Try and do research there. Basically do everything there besides your pre clinicals and required core rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try this recipe: High Step scores, strong CV with publications, away rotation at Mayo. It worked for the TCOM guy who matched ortho at Mayo last year.

Reactions: 2 users
Try this recipe: High Step scores, strong CV with publications, away rotation at Mayo. It worked for the TCOM guy who matched ortho at Mayo last year.

Bold strategy

The above is solid advice. I had a particular institution in mind for residency already at the beginning of medical school. Did summer research there in the department and got publications, and an away rotation early during 4th year that included an honors research paper. Got two letters from well-known attendings there, met the PD, and worked with a few of the chief residents. I can tell you in March if all this effort worked out.

The conventional advice on SDN is that networking > everything else for AOA programs, while USMLE scores > everything else in ACGME land. How or if this will change in the combined match, who knows.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you know exactly what program you're interested in? You haven't started med school yet, right?

If I were you, I'd contact the department you're interested in and have a meeting with people involved in the program (faculty, PC, PD if that's possible). Ask about shadowing and research. Anything to get you facetime with someone who can advocate for you during residency apps. You will likely have to return during breaks to refresh their memory about you. Absolutely do an elective there 4th year, provided you look good.

Now all that said, when you're in school, focus on school. Connections are great, but in the ACGME world, they are only really beneficial if you also have scores to match them (especially if we're talking about a very competitive program). Get a high rank as early as possible, do well on Step 1 and Level 1, and do well on clinicals.

Last edited: