Networking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daodejing

Upper or Lower
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to begin to network at a small conference, such as the upcoming COSM? As a medical student, I feel that this meeting will provide the best opportunity to establish connections within ENT, since it's a relatively much smaller gathering compared to the massive AAO.

I would preferably like to establish a research collaboration (begin in summer and extend longitudinally till MS4) with attendees from other institutions, hopefully those representing large ENT departments with extensive funding. I am currently involved in translational research in otology, as well as various clinical research initiatives spanning the gamut of subspecialties. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Forgive me; I'm a little confused. You're already involved in translational research in otology and involved in other "initiatives" that span the gamut of ENT subspecialties and you need connections? Do your current peers have no suggestions or connections, or is your research base simply insignificant?

On another note, I don't know many people who will provide you with "extensive" research funds just because you asked for them.

Having said that, start with your mentors and peers that "span the gamut" of otolaryngology and ask them to introduce you to people at COSM. I go to COSM every year; people are busy, so if you're looking for long term commitments, come up with a research plan or prospectus. Come up with ideas and ask your mentors to connect you. I'm not sure what year you are, but if you're an M1 or an M2, you'd be better off just looking at home. If you're an M3, there's not much time left for you, and you should definitely stick to home.

You hit the nail on the head - the research base at my home institution is a tad lacking, as is the availability to foster connections. I'm not looking for research funding for myself, but rather opportunities to collaborate on projects with those coming from larger departments. Although what I will be presenting at COSM is not related to my translational work, I will heed your advice and broach potential topics I'm interested in. Only M1, so I'm not limited for time.

If I were an MSI I wouldn't be approaching anyone at COSM. People are pretty focused on getting the most out of the conferences while they are there and are often in and out of meetings, etc.

If there is some particular area that you enjoy, see who is doing some research in the area that you like and email them to see if you can do some summer research with them. It will likely not be funded and you'll have to pay your own way, but it gives you an opportunity to spend time with a more academic department and hopefully make some connections. Your medical school may have some funding that you can apply for and you can check out the AAO-HNS or ARO to see if you can get something to help you out, too.

Reactions: 1 user