Neural Cell Development

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mariolee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was doing some practice questions and one of them asked whether Microglia, which I thought was a part of the nervous system, came from ecto, meso, or endoderm. I thought it would be ectoderm since Kaplan told me that the nervous system arose from the ectoderm, but in fact the answer stated the microglia is from the mesoderm because it's part of the immune system. I thought neural cells were part of the nervous system??

Members don't see this ad.

So I was doing some practice questions and one of them asked whether Microglia, which I thought was a part of the nervous system, came from ecto, meso, or endoderm. I thought it would be ectoderm since Kaplan told me that the nervous system arose from the ectoderm, but in fact the answer stated the microglia is from the mesoderm because it's part of the immune system. I thought neural cells were part of the nervous system??

Microglia aren't neural cells. They migrate from bone marrow after maturation there.