Neuro after failing Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fsurix

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to obtain Neuro after failing Step 1 and obtaining a mediocre score on the 2nd attempt (205)? Just wanting to know if I have already eliminated myself from the field or not. Still haven't taken Step 2. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 3rd year med student, and I've talked to many people about neuro and programs and the competitiveness of the field. I think if you really want neuro you should go for it. It should not be too difficult, unless you want to go to a top program like columbia or hopkins or harvard. It's not super competitive, and it's filled with IMGs. Failing step 1 is not going to rule you out of neurology. Just make sure to study extra hard for step 2.

Hope this helps.

I agreee with mandimd. Neuro is not too competitive right now, unless you're looking at top tier programs. Just do well on the rotation and get some good LORs. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have nothing to worry about. If you are really paranoid about it you could study hard for Step 2 and take it early to prove you can pass an exam...

Practically speaking, just do well on the rotation.

While not highly competitive overall, the neurology match is still highly competitive among the top maybe 15 programs. Failing Step 1 and getting a 205 on the 2nd shot doesn't preclude you from getting a neurology residency. As with anything in life, you have to have realistic expectations for which programs you will be considering for application. You should focus on beefing up the rest of your application (good letters, research, grades, step 2). Sending your CAS to 2nd and 3rd tier programs may be a better investment in terms of time and money (e.g., interview trips). Be reassured, if your step 1 scores are the only blemish on your record, you'll get a spot somewhere.