Neuro on Boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peace84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how heavily tested neuroanatomy/neuroscience are on the boards? Also anyone have an opinion on the neuroanatomy brs? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Medical students and physicians take a lot of boards, are you talking about the STEP? Strict neuroanatomy is very light, but neuro is so tied up with other subjects that this might be misleading. First Aid for the USMLE Step I has good info on the exam breakdown, as well as a fairly comprehensive list of resources like BRS, graded from A+ to B-. First Aid itself is a must-have and should help a great deal with the run-of-the-mill med school exam prep.

Anyone know how heavily tested neuroanatomy/neuroscience are on the boards? Also anyone have an opinion on the neuroanatomy brs? thanks

Subjects on USMLE step I in order of importance:

Most important:
Pathology
Pharm (Some neuroscience here)
Physio

Somewhat important:
Behavioral Science/Biostats
Biochemistry
Micro
Neuroscience

Not very important:
Neuroanatomy
Gross Anatomy
Histology

Members don't see this ad :)
I had quite a bit of neuroanatomy on my Step 1, about 20 questions. I thought High Yield Neuroanatomy was a great book; not too long but completely sufficient.

I'll also add that I had a lot of gross anatomy and not very much pharm, so although njbmd may be correct for the test in general, your test may put unusual emphasis on something you're not prepared for (if you don't prepare for everything).

what'd u use for anatomy review, and was it sufficient to cover the heaviness of gross anatomy on your exam?

btw - general consensus on neuro is hi-yield is good

what'd u use for anatomy review, and was it sufficient to cover the heaviness of gross anatomy on your exam?

I used HY Gross Anatomy and flipped through my atlas a bit, focusing on cross sections and complicated structures.

The former was nearly worthless, the latter more productive than I thought it would be.

I had a lot of neuro questions on my step I. HY neuro is more than enough. The BRS book is also written by the same guy who wrote the HY book (Fix, MD) but is way too detailed in my opinion.

I had a lot of Neuro on Step II. There were a lot of "where is the lesion" type questions, etc. I don't remember a lot of neuro being on Step 1, but there was a lot of embryology and molecular biology on my version of the exam.