Neuro shelf exam required for residency application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedWingsFan05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posting on behalf of a friend.. She's an M3 going into M4, and is applying for child neurology (or possibly neurology). For her school's neurology clerkship, they don't take a neuro shelf at the end of it. She can, however, request to take it voluntarily. It wouldn't have any affect on her clerkship grade positively or negatively, and it wouldn't show up anywhere on her transcript. The only places it could show up are her MSPE or as conversation during interviews. However, she wasn't sure if neurology or child neuro residency programs have as a requirement that "applicants have passed the NBME Neurology shelf exam during their 3rd year". Anyone know if this is or isn't a requirement?

Members don't see this ad.

Given that many medical schools don't have neurology as a core rotation at all, I can't see there being any requirement about a shelf exam. If I were her, I wouldn't take it unless I was supremely confident I would do well on it.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with typhoonegator. No point in taking it. Focus on getting the best grades possible on the other rotations.