Neurohospitalist pay model

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neurologo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently looking for neurohospitalist jobs (7-on-7-off) at private hospitals as a PGY4.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone can answer the followings:

- Do neurohospitalist get paid in base pay + bonus only for the first 1-2 yrs or permanently?

- If just for the first year or so and subsequently becomes all wRVU based, how could one increase the production when one has no control over number of consult cases?

- What would be an respectable wRVU conversion factor? I am hearing $50, $55 so far.

- I know that for outpatients, on average 6000 to 7000 would be reasonable depending on how hard one works. But for neurohospitalist working 2 wks a month, what would be a reasonable projection of annual RVU?

- It looks like night calls (mostly phone calls) are also paid separately around $500 to $600. Some offers $300 only. What is the norm?

Any other advises from your experienced wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The neurohospitalist jobs are not created equally. For some you are employed by the hospital, salaried, and then there may be some kind of bonus. The bonus may be based on meeting some quality standards or based on your production and RVU's.

Other neurohospitalist groups that are private and contract with the hospitals tend to employ more of an "eat what you kill" approach. In those groups the practice typically subtracts out all the overhead costs and then you get to keep the rest based on your RVU production. Some of these groups will pay you a salary for the first few years that may have some bonus component based on RVU's, then switch you to the pure eat what you kill in a few years once they make you a full partner. The full partners obviously tend to make more, but they also have to invest a lot in a new person starting out and it's sometimes not clear whether they'll be a good match for the group going forward.

There is no norm for how much night and weekend calls are reimbursed. As you can imagine, this varies incredibly from group to group, and often has little correlation with how many patients are seen during those nights and weekends. Usually the reimbursement is more contingent on how hard it is to get a Neurologist to cover and how important the hospital feels that coverage is to them.

I have no idea about RVU conversion factors. I'm an academic, but know the above from when I interviewed for neurohospitalist jobs in the past.