Neurologist advice?

thompsonliane

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good day. Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum; I'm new here. I'm fifteen and I really aspire to become a neurologist but I think I'm too stupid to become one. I have NLD and so math is really difficult to understand. Surprisingly, I'm good at science. I want to study medicine a UK university, but I want to attend a med school here in the states. Please let me know if I've got what it takes. Thank you! (Sorry my thread is long)

Members don't see this ad.

Good day. Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum; I'm new here. I'm fifteen and I really aspire to become a neurologist but I think I'm too stupid to become one. I have NLD and so math is really difficult to understand. Surprisingly, I'm good at science. I want to study medicine a UK university, but I want to attend a med school here in the states. Please let me know if I've got what it takes. Thank you! (Sorry my thread is long)

Do you think you have what it takes? If you do, that's all that matters. If you believe in yourself, and you know you have what it takes, you can do it :thumbup:. I think anyone has what it takes if they really want it bad enough and are willing to work hard. Don't ever say you're too stupid, ever. I used to be really hard on myself, and I used to think I wasn't smart enough, but I stopped being pessimistic and starting telling myself that I can do it, and I know I can do it. If you like science, you will be ok. The only thing stopping you is the assumption that you think you're too stupid, and the only person stopping you is yourself. If you want something hard enough, you will work hard and work your butt off to get where you want to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much! I know I'm being hard on myself, but really, no matter how hard I try I still suck at math. It's amazing: it's like my brain doesn't want to learn it even though I do. You're such a sweet person. NLD sucks and I don't know if NLD will make my college app worth less or not. You made my day. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Getting into med school and getting good grades in general is less about how smart you are and much more about how hard you work and your study habits. I know plenty of people who are geniuses that didn't make it because they were lazy or didn't learn how to study. I also saw plenty of people that I was much smarter than get accepted long before me because they were more committed in college and busted their butts. Work hard, learn how to study effectively, and do not let failures or struggles get you down. Do those things, get good college grades and a decent MCAT and you'll have a shot.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you so much! I know I'm being hard on myself, but really, no matter how hard I try I still suck at math. It's amazing: it's like my brain doesn't want to learn it even though I do. You're such a sweet person. NLD sucks and I don't know if NLD will make my college app worth less or not. You made my day. :)

It's ok to be hard on yourself, but don't overdo it. It's okay. Math is not a strong point for a lot of people, including me. I failed a math class (a big ugly F), and I retook it the next year and I got a B. I didn't get a B by just doing the work. I studied, I practiced, I looked at tons of websites for other explanations on how to do it, and I asked my teacher for help if I didn't understand something. I worked my butt off to get a good grade, and I did. NLD is just a part of you. It doesn't have to determine the rest of your life. If you want to become a doctor, you do it. You just work extra hard and when you work hard, you get good results (don't forget to reward yourself ;)). I'm happy that I made your day, but just don't be so hard on yourself, and you're not stupid, remember that. :)

Thank you all! I definitely needed the reassurance. Boy, did you guys deliver! I feel a lot better now. I can't thank you all enough :)

Thank you all! I definitely needed the reassurance. Boy, did you guys deliver! I feel a lot better now. I can't thank you all enough :)

You're welcome. If you ever need more reassurance, or you're feeling discouraged, you can always PM me :).