Neurology after family medicine residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

da_giants

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am a PGY-3 resident in family medicine. Over the years, I've developed a tremendous amount of interest in neurology. I am considering to do a neurology residency. As per ABPN, one must complete internal medicine internship or atleast 6-8months in medicine internship. I wouldn't mind starting from PGY-1 but is it possible for ABPN/neurology programs to consider my 3 years of family medicine training and waive 1 year of internship. I am a bit concerned about this because University of Chicago neurology program states that family medicine residency will not be considered as a waiver for internship.
Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Then look for a different program. Not sure why you would want to do another residency now that you are already finishing? Also, you do know that CMS funds residency programs and if you do a second residency you will not get paid unless they have some alternate form of funding?

cabinbuilder you are incorrect. The resident will get paid. The institution, if they are over the residency funding cap from CMS, will get less then full funding for that resident, but not zero. Most institutions are over the cap, and for many it doesn't make a difference. For some it does. Institution specific, you have to check with each one.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

cabinbuilder you are incorrect. The resident will get paid. The institution, if they are over the residency funding cap from CMS, will get less then full funding for that resident, but not zero. Most institutions are over the cap, and for many it doesn't make a difference. For some it does. Institution specific, you have to check with each one.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

So would a resident completing a second residency get at least the same pay as someone else in that program in the same year?