Neurology boards 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NancyNancy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I took them in 2009. I don't think they change much year to year since the orals went away. The questions vary between the inane and the categorically stupid. For example, a question on what sensory symptoms go along with carpal tunnel will be followed with a question about the molecular weight of the mutated gene in infantile NCL.

Study, but don't worry too much about it. Every second you study beyond that which is required to barely pass the exam is entirely wasted time that you will never have back. Getting a perfect score is not equivalent to being a great neurologist, unless knowing how many kilodaltons Palmitoyl-protein thioesterase 1 weighs makes you a good clinician.

Just read a few review books.

I took them in 2009. I don't think they change much year to year since the orals went away. The questions vary between the inane and the categorically stupid. For example, a question on what sensory symptoms go along with carpal tunnel will be followed with a question about the molecular weight of the mutated gene in infantile NCL.

Study, but don't worry too much about it. Every second you study beyond that which is required to barely pass the exam is entirely wasted time that you will never have back. Getting a perfect score is not equivalent to being a great neurologist, unless knowing how many kilodaltons Palmitoyl-protein thioesterase 1 weighs makes you a good clinician.

Just read a few review books.

TN, are there any fellowships in Palmitoyl-protein thioesterase that you would recommend? Thank you in advance..

Members don't see this ad :)
I finished residency in 2009, but got delayed secondary to a free vacation complements of Uncle Sam, so I took my boards in 2010.

First off, as everybody had said prior, much easier than the RITE.

Two parts, first part is neurobehavior/psychiatry stuff, lots of localization. Honestly, I wish I would have read the most Neurobehavior continuum twice before this because evrything is in there!!! As far as psychiatry, they ask stuff about personality disorders, etc. but not many questions.

Second part of the test are serial questions, that is, 4 to 5 questions based on one scenario. I found this to be easier than the first part. One nice thing, if you answer something incorrect, they give you answer on the next question (of course, you can't go back and change it), so its not like you will be completely wrong and miss say all 5 questions because you were way off.

I actually was the first one finished and I got done with test way early, which made me nervous? However, I passed and that was all that mattered.

Tips:
neuroprep.com
Cohen neuropathology flash cards
Know the EMG/NCV for common things: repetitive stimulation, carpal tunnel, etc

and various other tricks.

If you did okay on the RITE, you will pass. If you did horrible in the RITE, then you of course are at risk, but again, don't sweat it. I did not do acceptable on the RITE until I was a PGY-4 and I passed the real test. No, I did not score highest in the nation or anything like that, but still passed and if I am can do it, anybody can!!

I finished residency in 2009, but got delayed secondary to a free vacation complements of Uncle Sam, so I took my boards in 2010.

First off, as everybody had said prior, much easier than the RITE.

Two parts, first part is neurobehavior/psychiatry stuff, lots of localization. Honestly, I wish I would have read the most Neurobehavior continuum twice before this because evrything is in there!!! As far as psychiatry, they ask stuff about personality disorders, etc. but not many questions.

Second part of the test are serial questions, that is, 4 to 5 questions based on one scenario. I found this to be easier than the first part. One nice thing, if you answer something incorrect, they give you answer on the next question (of course, you can't go back and change it), so its not like you will be completely wrong and miss say all 5 questions because you were way off.

I actually was the first one finished and I got done with test way early, which made me nervous? However, I passed and that was all that mattered.

Tips:
neuroprep.com
Cohen neuropathology flash cards
Know the EMG/NCV for common things: repetitive stimulation, carpal tunnel, etc

and various other tricks.

If you did okay on the RITE, you will pass. If you did horrible in the RITE, then you of course are at risk, but again, don't sweat it. I did not do acceptable on the RITE until I was a PGY-4 and I passed the real test. No, I did not score highest in the nation or anything like that, but still passed and if I am can do it, anybody can!!

Hey Bustbones26,

Thank you - that's seriously the most comprehensive answer I've seen about Neuro boards on here.