Neurology Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USIMGgrad

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a US-IMG and I have applied to the SF match for neurology. I already have my step 1 results and am scheduled for the CSA on sept 20th but I might have to end up taking Step 2 agian because I was one of those unfortunate people who took it on the blackout day. This might delay my recieving of the ECFMG certificate on time before the match.

Does anyone know if I can still be matched even if I don't have my certificate?

Is having the ECFMG certificate a must in order for one to be matched for neurology?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

Try asking such questions here.

NB: This post has been edited by SDN Administration for TOS violations.

TTSD - please check your PMs for an explanation.

Most programs only require you to have the ECFMG certificate to START residency (ie, on July 1), not to participate in the match. That is the intent of the ECFMG.

HOWEVER, there are programs out there that are requiring it even to interview. I cannot say whether or not any of these are Neuro programs although I do know some users last year reported having to have Step 2 to have their apps processed.

At any rate, all you must do (at least according to NRMP - programs may set their own rules above and beyond what is required by the ECFMG and NRMP; I'm not sure what the rules are for the SFMatch but they are generally not different than the NRMP) is to have all your exams completed by the close of the match. Most people don't have their certificates until they graduate and have received a diploma which may not be until late spring.