Neurology Shelf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colts

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice on what and how to study and what topics are high yield for Neurology?

What books and question sets are good the the shelf?

Can people post their scores and what books and question sets they used?

Also, is blueprints or case files better for Neurology?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Case files for neuro last year had still not been updated like med and peds had. I think it was actually the worst casefiles for all the shelves and do not recommend wasting your time.

Plenty of time to read blueprints on a 4 week required rotation. Read blueprints, did Uworld scored 88. Recommended the same to my colleagues, they all scored 88+.

Members don't see this ad :)
Plenty of time to read blueprints on a 4 week required rotation. Read blueprints, did Uworld scored 88. Recommended the same to my colleagues, they all scored 88+.

My rotation is 2 weeks...Yeah, figure that one out.

Blueprints, UWorld + pretest

It's a broad test...some surgical concepts, some psych concepts, but nothing too left-field

did anyone find doubling back to Goljan + pathoma helpful for the shelf? is the neuro NBME as much help as they were for Step 1?

Did Casefiles (which I didn't like all that much), read neurology portions of Secrets/MTB2 and UWorld questions. Got 89 on the shelf. There weren't a lot of zebras on the test, so study the more bread and butter diseases.

Was my last rotation: 92%
Did Uworld Neuro, Pretest, Half of blueprints, MTB Neuro section, that onlinemed guys Neuro vids and had hand me down DIT Neuro stuff.Surprisingly I learned a decent amount on the rotation itself which helped in this case. Do Uworld and Pretest and sprinkle in whatever else you have time for.

Neuro is my first rotation (My step test was a little over 5.5 weeks from my neuro shelf, I have been using firecracker but was planning on doing uWorld + Blueprints + Pretest and it seems like I won't have time for all of them (Exam is in 6 days). Should I drop Blueprints and rely on what I remember from step 1 or would dropping pretest or world be better?

Members don't see this ad :)
Neuro is my first rotation (My step test was a little over 5.5 weeks from my neuro shelf, I have been using firecracker but was planning on doing uWorld + Blueprints + Pretest and it seems like I won't have time for all of them (Exam is in 6 days). Should I drop Blueprints and rely on what I remember from step 1 or would dropping pretest or world be better?

If you have a solid foundation, then you could drop Blueprints. But Blueprints is the best book for the broad content overview. I thought Pre-Test is great for practice questions, but pretty specific details and so wouldn't cover as much "ground" or material as UWorld/Blueprints would together in my opinion.

If you feel confident with your baseline knowledge though then maybe Pre-Test would add the "extra points" over less high yield material.

Last edited:
My rotation is 2 weeks...Yeah, figure that one out.

Ended up with 96th percentile on the shelf during that rotation. Used Blueprints, UWorld, and there's an American College of Neurology (is that a real thing? It's been 6 months) website that has a bunch of free sections for medical students...It's VERY good for understanding basic disease processes.

Any suggestions for people who have a short neuro rotation (only a couple weeks) and are basically just looking to make sure they pass? I was planning on doing Uworld and will probably have time to look over 1 other shelf review resource during the rotation, any suggestion for what that should be?

Ended up with 96th percentile on the shelf during that rotation. Used Blueprints, UWorld, and there's an American College of Neurology (is that a real thing? It's been 6 months) website that has a bunch of free sections for medical students...It's VERY good for understanding basic disease processes.

where is this section on ACON for medical students with free sections?

Got a 92 (don't know if this is scaled). We were not given percentiles. 78 is honoring at my school.
This was my first shelf exam. I did some Qs from the AAN, Pretest, MKSAP, UW, DIT. All in ~3weeks.

Is it worthwhile to re-read the Neuro section from First Aid for Step 1?

Hey all,

I've heard a few psych topics are h/y for the neuro shelf. Anybody have any thoughts on which pysch specific subjects, if any, are worth going over?

So...
They gave me two books: High Yield Neuroanatomy and Blueprints. I'm reading and it's kind of helpful for a broad understanding, but I don't see this being THAT pertinent for this exam. It's essentially something I can use for pimping on rounds. I'm gonna bank on Blueprints.

Need some help understanding a few questions if anyone has input!

An 11-year-old girl presents to the office for evaluation of mood changes and abnormal movements. Three weeks ago, she became much more emotional, often crying for no reason, and her academic performance started to decline. About a week later, she developed fidgety movements of her extremities. She had a sore throat about 3 months ago but is otherwise healthy. On examination, she is emotionally labile, and her speech is dysarthric. She is mildly hypotonic throughout, with uncoordinated writhing and jerking movements of her extremities. Antinuclear antibodies and thyroid function tests are normal. Which of the following is a true statement about this condition?

Select one:

A. Diagnosis is based on abnormal brain imaging.
B. Affected patients should be evaluated with an echocardiogram
C. Repeated recurrences are common
D. Treatment consists of Penicillin G for 14 days
E. Clinical manifestations are caused by CNS demyelination

The answer is not D; is it B? If so, how does one differentiate?

A 9-year-old boy presents to the office for evaluation of an abnormal gait. About a year ago, his right foot began turning inward while he was walking, and in the past 6 months, his left foot has begun to do the same thing. His parents have noted that his symptoms are milder in the morning and more severe late in the day. On examination, you note a sustained twisting posture of both lower extremities that is characterized by plantar flexion and inversion of the feet. Genetic testing for idiopathic torsion dystonia (DYT1) is negative. Which of the following would be the most appropriate next step in this patient’s care?

Select one:

A. Initiation of baclofen
B. Empiric trial of levodopa
C. Referral to physical therapy
D. Referral to orthotist for ankle-foot orthoses
E. Referral to neurosurgery for deep brain stimulation

Answer is not C; D was the only other one I could come up with. Any thoughts?

A 4-year-old boy presents to your office for evaluation of abnormal movements that have been occurring intermittently since he was 10 months old. His mother reports that, whenever he gets excited, he lifts both arms and wiggles his fingers. These movements happen several times per day, but he does not seem to be aware of them. They have not changed in appearance over time, and he does not have any other abnormal movements or vocalizations. He had gastro-esophageal reflux as an infant and was treated with ranitidine and metoclopramide for about a month when he was 6 months old. He does not have any other health issues and does not take any medications. This patient’s presentation is most consistent with which of the following diagnoses?

A. Stereotypy
B. Chronic tic disorder, motor type
C. Mannerism
D. Athetosis
E. Tardive dyskinesia

How is the answer not E?

How much neuroanatomy is on the shelf. Everyone says it's clinical but can someone give examples? Obviously some anatomy is a must, but if there is one thing I have forgotten from basic sciences its neuroanatomy. All that stuff just vanished out of my head.

Do I need to know the exact location of cranial nerve nuclei? Or just which ones are in which part of the brainstem roughly (i.e. midbrain vs pons). Or is there no mention of nuclei and corticospinal tracts and all that crap. Is it simple lesion localization, like left temporal infarct due to MCA stroke?

Basically, I guess what I'm asking is can I get >90 on the shelf by just knowing FA level neuroanatomy?

How much neuroanatomy is on the shelf. Everyone says it's clinical but can someone give examples? Obviously some anatomy is a must, but if there is one thing I have forgotten from basic sciences its neuroanatomy. All that stuff just vanished out of my head.

Do I need to know the exact location of cranial nerve nuclei? Or just which ones are in which part of the brainstem roughly (i.e. midbrain vs pons). Or is there no mention of nuclei and corticospinal tracts and all that crap. Is it simple lesion localization, like left temporal infarct due to MCA stroke?

Basically, I guess what I'm asking is can I get >90 on the shelf by just knowing FA level neuroanatomy?
I didn't have a single neuroanatomy question on my exam. You'll have to know how to trace lesions based on clinical presentation, but it doesn't require you to identify cranial nerve nuclei or locate tracts and such.

Haven't taken the SHELF yet, but I think I can give some answers to the questions you posed, JasonsMom.

1) B. This sounds like complications from rheumatic fever. The most important thing is to check for endocardial involvement. Treatment involves much more prolonged course of prophylactic Penicillin, as the patient is not currently infected.
2) B. This is tricky, but I think it is juvenile dopa-responsive dystonia. The stem mentions it's not the most common type of inherited dystonia, so my guess would be try increasing the DOP in the brain and see what happens. Couldn't hurt, right?
3) D. This is a guess, but I doubt kids that young can get tardive dyskinesia, let alone after 4 months of mild metaclopromide therapy. The movements sound athetoid to me, rather than dyskinetic. Not sure about this one, but that's at least an explanation why it's probably not E.

Any advice on what and how to study and what topics are high yield for Neurology?

What books and question sets are good the the shelf?

Can people post their scores and what books and question sets they used?

Also, is blueprints or case files better for Neurology?

Thanks!

After a long search I finally found “The Neurology: Self-Assessment & Review”. This may be such type of book where you can find high yield topics, questions and answers. This is a good book for Neurology Aspirants!

Need some help understanding a few questions if anyone has input!

An 11-year-old girl presents to the office for evaluation of mood changes and abnormal movements. Three weeks ago, she became much more emotional, often crying for no reason, and her academic performance started to decline. About a week later, she developed fidgety movements of her extremities. She had a sore throat about 3 months ago but is otherwise healthy. On examination, she is emotionally labile, and her speech is dysarthric. She is mildly hypotonic throughout, with uncoordinated writhing and jerking movements of her extremities. Antinuclear antibodies and thyroid function tests are normal. Which of the following is a true statement about this condition?

Select one:

A. Diagnosis is based on abnormal brain imaging.
B. Affected patients should be evaluated with an echocardiogram-this is Sydenham's chorea but it's usually due to rheumatic fever
C. Repeated recurrences are common
D. Treatment consists of Penicillin G for 14 days
E. Clinical manifestations are caused by CNS demyelination

The answer is not D; is it B? If so, how does one differentiate?

A 9-year-old boy presents to the office for evaluation of an abnormal gait. About a year ago, his right foot began turning inward while he was walking, and in the past 6 months, his left foot has begun to do the same thing. His parents have noted that his symptoms are milder in the morning and more severe late in the day. On examination, you note a sustained twisting posture of both lower extremities that is characterized by plantar flexion and inversion of the feet. Genetic testing for idiopathic torsion dystonia (DYT1) is negative. Which of the following would be the most appropriate next step in this patient’s care?

Select one:

A. Initiation of baclofen
B. Empiric trial of levodopa-this is dopamine responsive dystonia, or Segawa's disease. It is one of several genetic dystonias (DYT5). It responds very well to levodopa, which is also diagnostic for this disroder
C. Referral to physical therapy
D. Referral to orthotist for ankle-foot orthoses
E. Referral to neurosurgery for deep brain stimulation

Answer is not C; D was the only other one I could come up with. Any thoughts?

A 4-year-old boy presents to your office for evaluation of abnormal movements that have been occurring intermittently since he was 10 months old. His mother reports that, whenever he gets excited, he lifts both arms and wiggles his fingers. These movements happen several times per day, but he does not seem to be aware of them. They have not changed in appearance over time, and he does not have any other abnormal movements or vocalizations. He had gastro-esophageal reflux as an infant and was treated with ranitidine and metoclopramide for about a month when he was 6 months old. He does not have any other health issues and does not take any medications. This patient’s presentation is most consistent with which of the following diagnoses?

A. Stereotypy-tardive dyskinesia normally involves the mouth, face, and tongue area after chronic dopamine blocker/neuroleptic use (>6 months); his movements are not involuntary and "snake like," r/o atheosis
B. Chronic tic disorder, motor type
C. Mannerism
D. Athetosis
E. Tardive dyskinesia

Last edited:
I just took my neuro shelf last week and honored. I used UWorld, MKSAP and Pre-test. Some of the questions on the shelf were very similar to the ones from Pre-test.

I just took my neuro shelf last week and honored. I used UWorld, MKSAP and Pre-test. Some of the questions on the shelf were very similar to the ones from Pre-test.
When you say MKSAP, did you do MKSAP 16 or MKSAP for Students 5?

I used Lange Clinical Neurology plus uworld and Kaplan questions. Sucks reading Lange (pretty long but good content) but I crushed this test. I've heard people say case files is good but I personally hate case files.

Is there pediatric neuro on the neuro shelf? Just trying to decide if I should burn through the peds neuro questions now or if I should save the peds neuro for when I have peds.